Fat Bottom Guitars

What's Hot
RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
Anyone had any experience of selling to this company? 

I recent agreed to sell a guitar to them. Initial comms were great. Documents exchanged swiftly. They arranged collection and dropped me a note to say it had arrived. 

However, it's now several days after the agreed payout date and I've not received funds. Also they haven't replied to my last two chaser emails. 

I see from trustpilot reviews that others have cited late payments, though all appear to have been paid in the end. 

Very frustrating.....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RobG3294RobG3294 Frets: 464
    RMJ said:
    Anyone had any experience of selling to this company? 

I recent agreed to sell a guitar to them. Initial comms were great. Documents exchanged swiftly. They arranged collection and dropped me a note to say it had arrived. 

However, it's now several days after the agreed payout date and I've not received funds. Also they haven't replied to my last two chaser emails. 

I see from trustpilot reviews that others have cited late payments, though all appear to have been paid in the end. 

Very frustrating.....
    These lot are the same folk (I say folk, its one young brummie lad) that does TheGuitarMarketplace competitions. 

So they've started up a business arm SELLING guitars outright, rather than just raffling them (which would give them a bigger margin) although their ticket sales seem to be low with fewer lots selling out ticket wise. I also noticed the lad that did demos for them ain't there anymore.

Something strange going on there, not illegal, just weird why they acquire Guitars (the raffles are mainly just used Guitars they buy) but now have two separate strands for selling them in different ways.

Also not great precedent to hear they don't stick to their agreed payout date.

Without knowing and purely hypothesising, all of the above stinks of cashflow issues at their end. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Yes that right. He was completely transparent that there were multiple routes to sale. 

Agree it sounds like cash flow issue. I was told initial payout date was missed because they had reached BACS limit for the day. Didn't really buy that as an excuse but thought I'd give them the benefit. I've since tracked down phone number and have had a brief, but worrying and inconclusive response. 
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1454
    Define " brief, but worrying and inconclusive response. " as I was considering selling him 3-4 guitars..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @nero1701 it was a long the lines of.... Got your emails and I will send you an explanation later about why you haven't been paid.

Not sure why he couldn't just tell me there and then....

I'd avoid for the time being and check his trust pilot reviews. I will update this thread when I know what's going on but it doesn't sound like it's the first time this has hapoened
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1454
    Ive a few guitars up for sale as there's a 60's something within grasp...and I dont want time to run out..

but cheers..appreciate the care for community!
    Sitrep ... Received message to say I will get paid in the morning. Fingers crossed
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1133
    Also their returns policy says you've got 7days. Isn't that illegal for an internet sale?
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1133
    RMJ said:
    Sitrep ... Received message to say I will get paid in the morning. Fingers crossed
    Fingers crossed for you.
    S56035 said:
    Also their returns policy says you've got 7days. Isn't that illegal for an internet sale?
    Ha yeah. Distance selling regulations has you covered there
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Cool stuff, good luck @RMJ ;
    I say this as someone who also sold them a guitar. My payment is supposedly tomorrow.
    carlos said:
    Cool stuff, good luck @RMJ ;
    I say this as someone who also sold them a guitar. My payment is supposedly tomorrow.
    I hope your experience is different from mine and that you get paid. Let me know if you do! 
    Quick update. I have now been paid! 
    RMJ said:
    Quick update. I have now been paid! 
    Then I hope my experience is like yours
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Got paid today! Great stuff. I really recommend this, btw.

It was picked up by couriers on the 4th of March (they paid for the courier)
    It went on The Guitar Marketplace auction on the 18th of March earning them around £1,180 in ticket sales (I don't really care)
    https://theguitarmarketplace.com/winner/ibanez-rgaix7u-in-antique-brown-with-alegree-pickups/
    Then I got paid on the 22nd of March the full sum that had been agreed.
    Note: the actual competitions ARE gambling, no matter how much they look like fun competitions and whatnot. So if you're susceptible to being addicted to this sort of stuff, then stay away.

https://www.gamcare.org.uk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    carlos said:

It went on The Guitar Marketplace auction on the 18th of March earning them around £1,180 in ticket sales (I don't really care)
    https://theguitarmarketplace.com/winner/ibanez-rgaix7u-in-antique-brown-with-alegree-pickups/
    So let me get this right, they received the Guitar off you, listed it on a website the website of an entirely different LTD company of theirs to generate them income, prior to actually paying you for the Guitar.

I haven't seen their paperwork and terms but in most places, the completion of sale is when you are paid for the goods.

If it's not (and they count the completion of sale to be on delivery and in some circumstances prior to payment of it's prior owner), and they're subsequently transferring that asset without payment to said prior owner, to a different LTD company to generate revenue, then that is extremely iffy.

If however that's not the case and they count the completion of sale to be on payment - then they had no right to list your guitar on their site as it was not their property.

Either way you dress it up, their terms, or practices are highly strange and warrant careful consideration. These people aren't scammers, but the chronological order of these events strike me as again, cash flow issues. If he had the money, he'd have paid you prior to putting it up for raffle - again if that's not the case, it's pretty lackadaisical of him - neither are great omens.

Hope no one gets caught up in it, he's not a scammer, but he does strike me as a young lad with eyes bigger than his belly, trying to compete with GuitarGearGiveaway and eventually this is going to hit the fan - the overheads for those premises and all the gear must be substantial.

Glad you got paid anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    RobG3294 said:
    carlos said:

So let me get this right, they received the Guitar off you, listed it on a website the website of an entirely different LTD company of theirs to generate them income, prior to actually paying you for the Guitar.

I haven't seen their paperwork and terms but in most places, the completion of sale is when you are paid for the goods.

If it's not (and they count the completion of sale to be on delivery and in some circumstances prior to payment of it's prior owner), and they're subsequently transferring that asset without payment to said prior owner, to a different LTD company to generate revenue, then that is extremely iffy.

If however that's not the case and they count the completion of sale to be on payment - then they had no right to list your guitar on their site as it was not their property.

Either way you dress it up, their terms, or practices are highly strange and warrant careful consideration. These people aren't scammers, but the chronological order of these events strike me as again, cash flow issues. If he had the money, he'd have paid you prior to putting it up for raffle - again if that's not the case, it's pretty lackadaisical of him - neither are great omens.

Hope no one gets caught up in it, he's not a scammer, but he does strike me as a young lad with eyes bigger than his belly, trying to compete with GuitarGearGiveaway and eventually this is going to hit the fan - the overheads for those premises and all the gear must be substantial.

Glad you got paid anyway.
    Don't care. Got paid about as much as I'd expect from a private sale and with zero hassle. I don't work for HMRC or anything like that so not for me to worry about.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2511
    What happens if the raffle doesn’t generate enough cash to pay for the guitar?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7351
    My thoughts exactly @elstoof
    edited March 22
    elstoof said:
    What happens if the raffle doesn’t generate enough cash to pay for the guitar?
    Wisdom. And this is exactly what I meant by "this is eventually going to hit the fan" but Carlos doesn't care so we can all stop being daft about it.

"I don't work for HMRC or anything like that so not for me to worry about."

So long as it's not in my backyard, ey lads and lasses.