Is this gear any use to anyone?

What's Hot
barrydbarryd Frets: 25
edited March 19 in Amps
A dear old friend of mine from one of my forums is wanting rid of a collection of old gear.  He and I have absolutely no idea if any of it is worth anything so not sure where to post this as its not really a classified Ad at the moment.  Just after some thoughts but I dont think he would refuse any offer if its of interest to someone. He is in the Peak District near Glossup.  I guess it would be collection only.

This is what he sent me so opinions and any interest appreciated.  If it just needs to be skipped then let me know also.
"1st an ohm pk140 amp and 2nd a raven 200 stereo slave amplifier, these were pat tested a few years ago and are damned good 70s stuff, the OHM amp even has a spring reverb (kids today won't know what that is, but it's got one !!). They've heavy but if you can give them a home I'd be grateful plus I'll throw in an equally ancient Sound Creations disco light controller too.
There's also an Akai S2000 stereo sampler (plus loads of floppy discs too) and a Beringer Eurorack MX1602mixing console plus manuals"

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    The Ohm would be great as a pedalboard/modeller power amp - not much use as a PA these days with no XLRs, but it’s a good-sounding, extremely well-built, reliable, loud clean amp with reverb.

The Raven looks like it was built in the same factory and would still be useful for PA or bass, or even for guitar in a stereo rig.

Sadly neither is worth much, but they’re too good to just chuck out. If you can’t find any takers, Freecycle them.

The Behringer is a decent modern desk for someone who can’t be bothered with digital/iPad mixing. Again, not worth much, but someone will want it.

The Akai might be, it’s a classic sampler, but I’m not familiar enough with the market for this sort of thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1217
    The akai you should be able to get 50-100 for it on e bay. I sold one recently. Well worth looking to see if it has the 8 output board and FX board as then you can sell those seperately for a lot more. (they fit many akai models of that era).

Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • barrydbarryd Frets: 25
    Thanks Guys. Ill pass on this info to my friend. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4174
    swiller said:
    The akai you should be able to get 50-100 for it on e bay. I sold one recently. Well worth looking to see if it has the 8 output board and FX board as then you can sell those seperately for a lot more. (they fit many akai models of that era).

I'm a bit surprised to find they're going for that little, like your man says above - they are a stone-cold classic. So many great albums recorded with those things.

All old tech seems to be worth a mint nowadays, I blame the youth - they're listening to cassettes for pity's sake! They'll find out soon enough why we ancients of yore couldn't wait to get our hands on a CD player.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 277
    Dunno about their PAs, but Ohm bass amps were fantastic.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    Dunno about their PAs, but Ohm bass amps were fantastic.
    They’re equally good, just don’t have any modern features, which limits their usefulness as PA amps. As a keyboard amp, clean guitar amp, even a bass amp, they’re still good - the build quality is outstanding, they’re loud for the rated power, and the basic tone is full and even. From memory the combos and bass cabs came with Fane or Celestion speakers.

It’s a shame this kind of no-compromise analogue solid state gear doesn’t seem to be popular or even made any more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    barryd said:
    There's also an Akai S2000 stereo sampler (plus loads of floppy discs too) 
    ICBM said:
    The Akai might be, it’s a classic sampler, but I’m not familiar enough with the market for this sort of thing.
    swiller said:
    The akai you should be able to get 50-100 for it on e bay. I sold one recently. Well worth looking to see if it has the 8 output board and FX board as then you can sell those separately for a lot more. (they fit many akai models of that era).
    Indeed. I have a spare 2MB RAM board stashed away somewhere.

I would argue that the classic AKAI samplers were the S1000 and S3000 series. The S950 has a cult following for gritty 12-bit drum sounds. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 102
    I would agree 50 to 100 for the  akai s2000 . I went through a phase of buying them about 10 years ago for £20 . They were difficult to work due to the small screen as I remember. I also had a 2800 at one point that was still tricky with the larger (faded) screen 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom