go-to riffs when auditioning gear

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
edited March 19 in Guitar
I always advise my guitar students to have some non generic go-to riffs if they find themselves in a public environment when trying out gear. However, when at home checking my own stuff out I find myself resorting to the lowest common denominator which more often or not includes judicious use of Em and a handful of basic double-stops...!

Over to you.
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    edited March 19
    I find in guitar shops I immediately forget how to play anything at all..

IMO a few scales and chord shapes moving up the neck let you know everything you need to about playability, sound, resonance and intonation.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1510
    Black Dog always just comes to mind 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good advice, if I was a guitar teacher I would also recommend playing something familiar, like Stairway, when trying out gear. Particularly in a shop.
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteppedOutSteppedOut Frets: 36
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6908
    Good advice, if I was a guitar teacher I would also recommend playing something familiar, like Stairway, when trying out gear. Particularly in a shop.
    I go more for a scale based motif - the introduction to “Sweet child of mine” is very good for that, needs to be played loud to really check out the pick-up clarity.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1521
    Great thread. 

I usually go through a very awkward panic the first time I play a guitar. Even worse if there are folks watching. 

Like, last time I went to try guitars in a shop I even forgot to remove my outdoorsy gloves. 

I felt like Alf. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 369
    Depends on the guitar, normally something out of the following: 

• Gardenia - Kyuss
    • Love in Vain - the Stones version
    • Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts - Gaslight Anthem
    • Simple Man - Skynyrd
    Cranking the amp, then downtuning and smashing out the opening riff to Gardenia often goes down pretty well in my experience...
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • TeleguideTeleguide Frets: 22
    Usually this! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kentuckyklirakentuckyklira Frets: 961
    Depends on the mood I´m in, also the weather, I won´t be playing Van Halen with my fingers deep frozen.

Usually some Van Halen or Aerosmith.
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2998
    I go straight into make it up / blag it mode. I want my try-out to be a representation of what I will actually be doing at home.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    In guitar shops I always play stuff I wrote myself (mainly many years ago). Although some of it has been released commercially, it's so obscure that I cannot be judged.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1363
    edited March 19
    Pretty much what I do at home - blues exploration in E or A and see where it takes me - though the past week it's been in C cos I've been learning Hound Dog and Great Balls Of Fire...

I have been messing about recently with Iron Maiden's Phantom Of The Opera.

If I'm warmed up and feeling confident I go full on Guitar Center and they'll get snippets of Satch Boogie or Circles.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1093
    Whenever my guitar students test out a guitar they just whack the open strings in standard tuning haha. That ain't really going to test out the tone is it.

I usually do an E chord to check the guitar's in tune (provided its in standard) then do all the generic power chords and barre shapes before some bends and pentatonic phrases.

As for riffs it depends what tuning the guitar is in. In standard on an overdrive tone I'll do the AC/DC ones, or something like that. Maybe something I've composed myself. In drop tunings then a lot of the heavier metalcore band riffs I'll play, that no one knows.
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 150
    I'm a freezer but if I ever plug into a chorus I have to play echo beach by Martha and the Muffins. I don't even particularly like the song but it takes control of my mind !

Ian
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1141
    A long time ago I went to Coda to try out a very cheap guitar and the guy got it off the rack, tuned it up and played a whole load of intimidating jazzy chords and scales before handing it over to me to cack-handedly go through the intro to Enter Sandman.  The guy genuinely walked off shaking his head 

Nowdays I tend to chuck a few chords in and make some shit up.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1093
    S56035 said:
    A long time ago I went to Coda to try out a very cheap guitar and the guy got it off the rack, tuned it up and played a whole load of intimidating jazzy chords and scales before handing it over to me to cack-handedly go through the intro to Enter Sandman.  The guy genuinely walked off shaking his head 

Nowdays I tend to chuck a few chords in and make some shit up.
    This reminded me of a few years ago when I was hunting for a baritone guitar, I went to Andertons to try 3 out, but as the demo booths were all full (it was a Saturday afternoon so they were the busiest they'd been) they had to give me a Boss Katana on the shop floor. 

So there I was for about 45 minutes chugging metalcore riffs and doing pinch harmonics in drop a# and a in front of all the customers walking in with disapproving looks. One guy was trying to test an acoustic nearby, playing folky pretty chords, but asked to move as I was chugging so loud haha.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Kid - Pretenders
  • BigAmpsBigAmps Frets: 15
    Errrm the final countdown solo even though it may not sound like that lol
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2170
    I cant remember the last time I tried a guitar out in a shop. Usually it's just cowboy chords or some generic wanky blues bending to see if it needs a set up etc 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3598
    Sometimes I'll just play chords in different registers using different string groups, to get a sense of how the instrument copes. Or, choose pieces to play that get into that. 

Last weekend I tried a few cheap guitars and I remember playing a walking bass accompaniment for 'Sonnymoon For Two,' a strummy open chord number i.e. Neil Young's 'Down by the River', a bunch of James Brown stuff that uses the top four strings, etc.