Adjusting tremolo post height

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
edited March 19 in Guitar
On a twin post tremolo like this one below, is it advisable to loosen the strings before adjusting the trem posts lower or higher? 

Expert advice most appreciated…

IMG_9010.jpeg 664.6K
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4812
    edited March 20
    Absolutely yes, because if you do it with tension on the strings you'll wear either the knife edges or the posts and then it won't return to pitch as well.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    @Boromedic is quite correct however I always do final adjustments ie just tweaks under tension , the amount of wear this might generate is negligible compared to a gigs worth of divebombing 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14262
    tFB Trader
    Boromedic said:
    Absolutely yes, because if you do it with tension on the strings you'll wear either the knife edges or the posts and then it won't return to pitch as well.
    agree - It should not really need adjusting from a factory set-up and once in its 'correct' position it should be fine, with regular height adjustments to be made via the saddles as normal - If you have the bridge posts to low, and the bridge plate running parallel to the body, you will find little, if any space, for 'up pitch' bends 

Again be careful if going to low, as based on that pic (and it might just be the angle of the pic) but the corner of the plate, on the low E side, near the posts, looks like it might catch on the corner of the recessed cavity 
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
    Thanks guys :)