Recording guitar videos for instagram

Hi all - I want to step up my social media game and post videos to my instagram.
Initial thoughts are that I'll play along to some backing tracks.

I've seen the Roland Go Mixer pro, which looks like the ideal piece of gear to get me hooked up to my phone for recording the guitar and backing mixed together.

Is there a better way to accomplish this that I'm missing - what app do I need on my phone to actually record the video, or will it work in my phone's camera app?

I suppose I could just record using the phone mic and play out of my studio monitors, but I want a nice polished, professional sound.

I'm not looking to make 'playback' videos - I want to be as live as possible, but with a good direct sound.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10439
    If it's an iPhone then it's relatively easy to do as it can accept a USB stream from an interface or a Nux MP or similar practice plug with USB  ... Basically the iphones camera takes the video as normal but the audio from the interface via a lighting to USB adapter. You can then just record the part with good audio and not have the hassle of importing into a video editor and lining up audio etc.. 

Most of mine are done this way 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1090
    Record your audio via some form of interface, don't use the camera mic as they're usually terrible and not close enough to the source you're recording. A USB mixer would work but I don't know if it'd have the connections to an iPhone.

If its a quick clip I normally just use the Yamaha MG10 mixer and record via my laptop's webcam. If its a full song or something a bit more polished I'll record into a DAW first and then do the video separate, though this takes longer.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    Depends if you want it all nice and stereo and if you want to talk over it, Ive used a couple of methods, Irig Pro Duo but I'm not a fan, and now I'm on the Lewitt Connect 6, which seems better but still has issues. 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3686
    edited March 28
    The iPhone / iPad is USB audio class compliant, so on plugging in a USB audio interface, the phone video camera will use that rather than the inbuilt mic.  I use a Yamaha MGUX that is ideal.. can send mix straight to video. 

iMovie will let you trim and adjust basic levels.