Fender Switchboard

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
Anyone got one yet? Looks really good and at a very good price. Will give the likes of Boss / Gigrig a run for their money 

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-switchboard-effects-operator
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Crikey! That popular lol 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    To be fair, Fender are very late to the party so people who were likely to want a switcher probably have one already. I can't see people who already have equivalent switchers trading them in for the Switchboard, and honestly I don't see why you'd pick the Switchboard over the very similarly priced but better specced Boss ES-5.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    To be fair, Fender are very late to the party so people who were likely to want a switcher probably have one already. I can't see people who already have equivalent switchers trading them in for the Switchboard, and honestly I don't see why you'd pick the Switchboard over the very similarly priced but better specced Boss ES-5.
    True. I thought the colour screen had an advantage over the Boss I felt. I’m sure it won’t take much for Boss to update that on their ES5 tbh though. One day 
    True. I thought the colour screen had an advantage over the Boss I felt. I’m sure it won’t take much for Boss to update that on their ES5 tbh though. One day 

I think that's a hardware change, not a firmware update. The screen on the ES-5 is distinctly last century.

I think that's a hardware change, not a firmware update. The screen on the ES-5 is distinctly last century.
    Yeah. I mean Boss could always bring out an updated hardware version to bring it into todays standard / expectations etc 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27100
    edited March 25
    I've always liked the idea of this sort of thing but never had one. Part of that is because they're so damn big. You have to lose like 3 other pedals to make room for one of these, or the Boss, etc. At least the ES-5 has some built in effects to make up for it

EDIT: nope I googled and apparently it's the MS3 that has built in fx. Anyway, my point remains! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited March 25
    I use a Disaster Area DPC 5 for my switching nowadays. Not as powerful as the boss etc but it’s fine for my usage. Small too 

Yeah. I mean Boss could always bring out an updated hardware version to bring it into todays standard / expectations etc 

I don't know that I see the point. You wouldn't gain anything in terms of functionality by having a colour screen, and you'd need a significantly bigger unit to accommodate a touch screen (which goes to @stickyfiddle 's point about size). Even then, I don't know that you gain anything in terms of usability.

Bluetooth connectivity to a phone app instead of the PC editor would be an improvement...

edited March 25

I don't know that I see the point. You wouldn't gain anything in terms of functionality by having a colour screen, and you'd need a significantly bigger unit to accommodate a touch screen (which goes to @stickyfiddle 's point about size). Even then, I don't know that you gain anything in terms of usability.

Bluetooth connectivity to a phone app instead of the PC editor would be an improvement...

Nothing about usability. Maybe more about visibility.  Just keeping up with what’s out there now with Boss’s competitors etc 
    I've always liked the idea of this sort of thing but never had one. Part of that is because they're so damn big. You have to lose like 3 other pedals to make room for one of these, or the Boss, etc. At least the ES-5 has some built in effects to make up for it

EDIT: nope I googled and apparently it's the MS3 that has built in fx. Anyway, my point remains! 
    You could do all the same things with a MIDI controller and a remote switcher like the Morningstar ML-5/10 which could be hidden under a slanted board to give you back some space.

You could do all the same things with a MIDI controller and a remote switcher like the Morningstar ML-5/10 which could be hidden under a slanted board to give you back some space.
    Yeah but honestly fuck that shit! :D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 25

Yeah but honestly fuck that shit! D 
    lol do you know what. I’m starting to feel the same about it all. Prefer to keep things simple these days  

Yeah but honestly fuck that shit! D 
    lol do you know what. I’m starting to feel the same about it all. Prefer to keep things simple these days  
    Yeah, I mean.. I will admit I'm considering an HX Stomp or HXFX for my main board at the moment, but at no point do I want to get some complex that having a big extra switcher to 1) buy 2) program 3) power and 4) lug about becomes my best option. these days I'd honesty just go full Helix if I ever felt the need for that much on-the-fly switchability.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    I've got a gigrig midi 8. Bought it used for 150 quid. It's in my sock draw. Long story.

As others said, it's the wrong colour and it doesn't do anything more than other products that have been around longer.