P90 in a Tele.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14319
    edited March 21 tFB Trader
    If I build another Tele for myself personally it will have a P90 in the neck and a Dynasonic in the bridge ... a la Eddie Cochran;s Gretsch ... though this beastie sounds the mutts nads with two Dynasonics. 

not keen on the bridge itself, but that looks mighty cool - Not sure what bridge I would have instead
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7913
    edited March 21
    I’ve got a Rutters reverse telemaster Jr body with an Oil City P90 in the bridge. 

One of my favourite ever guitars.  I’ve sold it and bought it back an embarrassing number of times, but one less than @dazzajl ;;

It is getting Surgury at some point.  A friend is a prominent motorbike restorer and repainter, and he’s going to paint it In some reliced motorbike style, likely modelled on an old ‘Norton.   Will look damn cool when done. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72511
    I'm going to go against the grain, fashion, accepted popular wisdom and all that and say...

I don't like P90s in a Tele. At all.

P90s belong in a Gibson. Teles need a mini-humbucker. Or better still a WRHB.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10582
    tFB Trader
    If I build another Tele for myself personally it will have a P90 in the neck and a Dynasonic in the bridge ... a la Eddie Cochran;s Gretsch ... though this beastie sounds the mutts nads with two Dynasonics. 

not keen on the bridge itself, but that looks mighty cool - Not sure what bridge I would have instead
    I copied this 

its a stupidly expensive Fender GE Smith Custom half bridge plate ... bollocks to paying £80 for a bit of bent steel ... I cut down a standard Fender plate. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5442
    edited March 22
    ICBM said:
    I'm going to go against the grain, fashion, accepted popular wisdom and all that and say...

I don't like P90s in a Tele. At all.

P90s belong in a Gibson. Teles need a mini-humbucker. Or better still a WRHB.
    The descending order of coolness for Tele neck pickups is Firebird - WRHB - P90 - PAF - goldfoil - mini humbucker - Filtertron - Strat pickup - nothing -  traditional Tele neck pickup. I will take no questions. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2300

Seymour Duncan Phat Kat pickups with nickel covers - P90s in Humbucker size.

IMG_0278JPG

IMG_0281JPG

IMG_0289JPG

IMG_0295JPG
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14526
    ICBM said:
    P90s belong in a Gibson.
    I partially concur. P90s seem to go best on a mahogany slab, with a set neck and a 24¾" scale.

Even extending to 25" on a PRS makes a difference. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2300

Reverend Gristle 90

IMG_9139JPG
    IMG_9141JPG
    IMG_9143JPG
    IMG_9144JPG
    IMG_9146JPG
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    edited March 22
    Lovely Reverend, though it's a Les Paul Special/Explorer hybrid disguised as a Tele (set neck, 24.75" scale, Korina body)

I'm with @ICBM in that if I'm going to deviate from the traditional neck pickup I prefer a mini-humbucker.

At what point does a telecaster stop being a telecaster? To my mind Cabronitas while lovely are telecaster shaped guitars rather than Telecasters if you know what I mean. The guitar doesn't know what shape it is, and it likely has negligible effect on the tone, whereas the big things of construction, scale length, pickups and bridge type all take place in a narrow rectangle from the nut to the bridge, which is what really defines the guitar
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3529
    I cant look at a Cabronita without thinking of spaghetti carbonara, it kind of puts me off them.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2467
    edited March 22
    If it helps the word roughly translates to little bitch, which should help remove the spaghetti image
    (Cabron, cabrona, cabronita. Fender translate cabron as "goat", so the feminine diminutive form -ita would be a "little nanny goat", but cabron has a variety of commonly used "vulgar" meanings which Fender are aware of but can't stick in their marketing material for obvious reasons)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3529
    strtdv said:
    If it helps the word roughly translates to little bitch, which should help remove the spaghetti image
    Actually yes it has, thankyou, I am seeing them in a whole new way now, they do look quite tame to me, not really worthy of such a name, an SG on steroids maybe, but a Tele in a sparkly jacket?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1486
    This is my 1959 Esquire, with a Gibson/Silvertone mini-hb in the neck.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom