Japan - guitar shop recommendations?

What's Hot
Hi all,

I'm off to Japan next week for a fortnight and have a pretty stacked itinerary across a number of different places (including the Formula One at Suzuka)

I'm wondering, though, if there are any must-see guitar shops? I highly doubt I can be arsed lugging a lovely MIJ offset on the flight back but I might be tempted to any weird pedals...! 

Cheers 
Ollie 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27004
    OK Suzuka will be AMAZING. I've always wanted to go for the race. 

LOADS of guitar shops in Japan, and a lot of them are great. Most cities have a branch or 2 of Ishibashi, which is a great dealer for normal stuff. Most big stores have loads of new & used pedals, a bunch of Japanese brand guitars, MIJ-only Fenders, and plenty of fancy stuff. 

In Tokyo there are loads of options:
    - in Shibuya you have Ishibashi and NicoNico - I've bought stuff in both of these. There's also G-Club, which was right next to where we stayed last time. 
    -  in Ochanomizu, there is a whole guitar street STUFFED with amazing gear of all shapes & sizes. There's Guitar Planet, Kurosawa, and Ishibashi. Big Boss has loads of MIJ stuff including ESP Custom Shop, Zemaitis, Greco, Tokai, etc etc, and there are loads of other smaller shops I can't remember the name of.
    - Shinjuku also has some shops including the new Fender showcase place but I didn't have time to go there as well on my recent trip.

Let me know where else you're going and I'll dig out my notes... Osaka and Fukuoka both have v good Ishibashis if nothing else.

A lot of shops will also happily hold onto a guitar while you're on holiday then ship to you at home so it arrives when you get back ;) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ShipwreckShipwreck Frets: 60
    Thanks mate. I'm adding this to my list!

My other half is already out there and noted the shiny new Fender gaff that looks quite fun too. The weird and wonderful of used stores is always my weakness though 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SleepyscholarSleepyscholar Frets: 167
    edited March 28
    @Stickyfiddle has given you good advice, but if you want it distilled down: go to Ochanomizu. Highest concentration of guitars in the world.

For second-hand stuff, find a branch of Hard-Off which stocks guitars. Half of my gear comes from Hard-Off (and half the rest comes from Yahoo Auctions, sadly not an option for you in practice, I expect).
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    @Stickyfiddle has given you good advice, but if you want it distilled down: go to Ochanomizu. Highest concentration of guitars in the world.

+1

It's been a few years since I last went but, even if you are not buying, it's great to just look around and soak up the atmosphere.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    IME, the Hard-Off stores are almost empty of interesting guitars in the major Japanese cities. But if you find yourself out in a provincial town, they can be worth a visit. (They're not bad for cameras and lenses, too.)

As I said in the other thread, start looking at www.j-guitar.com to do your research.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    The Hard Off/ Book Off have been rinsed by people, mix of more foot traffic from locals and tourists.

You need to get out of the Golden Triangle of Tokyo, Osaka & Kyoto and out side the city center to find anything.  If the store is only accessible by car, then it's always better.