The Three Body Problem on Netflix..

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6136
Three episodes in and I must admit to enjoying it a lot. It's an adaption of the story unlike the recent Chinese version on YouTube which followed the book closely, but it does include the important opening of the tale which details the brutality of the cultural revolution in China which motivated Ye Wenjie to take her world changing action, something the Chinese version conveniently chose to ignore.
The virtual reality scenes are impressive and the pace is greatl
Definitely recommended for anyone interested in smart science fiction.
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7431
    I was 50:50 on giving it a go - I tonight the book (in its English translation (obv) at least) was tiresome as it seemed to be a literal translation rather than use language for effect like good books do. I gave up on it. 

Will give the show a go though. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 371
    @equalsql could you give some other examples of smart science fiction for comparison please? So I might know what to expect. I thank you.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9553
    Just started it mate - really enjoying it and a unique theme.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6136
    Jfingers said:
    @equalsql could you give some other examples of smart science fiction for comparison please? So I might know what to expect. I thank you.
    Do you mean smart-arse?  :3
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3704
    Started it last night as well. 
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 362
    Just finished watching episode 5. Holy shit, that was some good TV. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7292
    Oh hadn't realised this was out yet.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Can't wait to start this new Netflix version, looks ace. Loved the first 2 books but have to admit I bailed on the third one as my feeble brain couldn't handle the science overload anymore! Should probably give it another go at some point...

I tried watching the original Chinese TV adaptation for free on YouTube but had to give up. Although it seemed a well made show the YouTube adverts were unbearable. They would randomly appear every 15mins or so, regardless of what was happening on screen. You could be in the middle of an intense/important piece of dialogue, or the middle of a spectacular action sequence and you'd randomly have to watch 2mins of adverts for Chinese laundry products or some other nonsense!

donbot said:
    Yep, pretty bloody brutal too. I've finished the whole series now and although it deviated a lot from the book in terms of characters, it really enjoyed it.
    Now watching the much longer, slower paced more accurate Chinese version on Amazon Prime.. even though the b'stards have started pushing adverts on Prime content... since February.
    Can't wait to start this new Netflix version, looks ace. Loved the first 2 books but have to admit I bailed on the third one as my feeble brain couldn't handle the science overload anymore! Should probably give it another go at some point...

I tried watching the original Chinese TV adaptation for free on YouTube but had to give up. Although it seemed a well made show the YouTube adverts were unbearable. They would randomly appear every 15mins or so, regardless of what was happening on screen. You could be in the middle of an intense/important piece of dialogue, or the middle of a spectacular action sequence and you'd randomly have to watch 2mins of adverts for Chinese laundry products or some other nonsense!

Watch via a browser with an adblocker like opera. I'm currently doing this and it works prefect on my Android tablet.
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1432
    donbot said:
    have to agree 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4141
    I read the original novel years ago. And it was full of amazing big ideas. But in terms of characters I thought it was pretty poor.

I'm really glad this Netflix version has more interesting and varied characters, and I'm really enjoying it.

And holy shit, episode five, what an hour of entertainment that was.

I'm particularly enjoying Benedict Wong and Liam Cunningham. Great to hear Wong use his hometown accent too. 

The Chinese series is 22 hours long,  however there is a fan edit of the series which comes highly recommended that removes alot of the padding and reduces it to 6 hours.  The edit is split into 3 x 2GB downloads that can be obtained here..

https://disembiggened.com/#download

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2919
    Finished watching this last night.  Utterly brilliant TV.  Can't wait for the next series.

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3494
    Damn, I just watched the last one today, now the big wait begins.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3494
    edited April 1
    equalsql said:
    The Chinese series is 22 hours long,  however there is a fan edit of the series which comes highly recommended that removes alot of the padding and reduces it to 6 hours.  The edit is split into 3 x 2GB downloads that can be obtained here..

I managed to stream direct, they were straight in there with the gore!

edit -

No subs, copy link, paste into Stremio, subs are there, a dubbed version would be nice though.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    robgilmo said:
    equalsql said:

I managed to stream direct, they were straight in there with the gore!

edit -

No subs, copy link, paste into Stremio, subs are there, a dubbed version would be nice though.
    The subtitles are embedded if you download the files.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited April 2
    robgilmo said:
    Damn, I just watched the last one today, now the big wait begins.
    No 2nd season confirmed by Netflix yet, despite the producers planning for such. The 'flix execs will be looking closely at viewing figures and ratings as it doesn't look like a cheap show to produce.