Judas Priest, Saxon and Uriah Heep at Wembley Arena, 21 March

What's Hot
Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22963
edited March 22 in Music
First rock gig I've been to for a while. 

I saw @FelineGuitars was there, although not close enough for me to pop over and say hello.  And I know @Reverend said he had a ticket.

Was anyone else in attendance?  I'm just curious.  At least 70% of the audience looked like potential FretBoarders.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11600
    edited March 22 tFB Trader
    Yes - was there and enjoyed myself (a nice perk of looking after Richie's guitars when he needs anything doing whilst in UK). Managed to catch up with him and have a chat afterwards . Thought his Wizard amp sounded good (like a JCM 800 with a boost in the front end mated to a Marshall Major power section).

Saw a few folks I knew , and probably missed a boatload of others .....sorry I didn't see you Philly

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22963
    It did all sound good, and not too deafening - my ears aren't ringing today.  I was a long way back though, I had a clear view of the stage but I was much too far away to be able to recognise all the guitars people were playing (although Richie's are easily identifiable).
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5003
    I was there. pretty close to the front - to the right of the stage on the lower level at the side. My section seemed to mostly be guest list. Was chatting to a guy that used to be in zodiac mindwarp. Saxon's manager was sat behind me. talk about living the dream.

all bands were great, although a little disappointed by the lack of sad wings material - it the album that define heavy metal, Love Bites is no Ripper.

Anyone else notice that Richie's leads were much louder than Sneap's? 
    Reverend said:
    all bands were great, although a little disappointed by the lack of sad wings material - it the album that define heavy metal, Love Bites is no Ripper.
    I was actually really pleased they did Love Bites.  :3  Always a bit disappointed when they don't play Beyond the Realms of Death, though.

I felt like the Uriah Heep set was too short to really get going, although it was good to see them - or Mick, at least - for the first time in 44 years!  A similar period of time since I last saw Saxon, and it was a buzz to see them with Brian Tatler.

Sounds like you had a good seat, pretty much diagonally opposite where I was.  You're a recognisable chap, but no wonder I didn't spot you at that distance.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2557

It was absolutely flippin’ brilliant. Was there with my 21 year lad. Saxon were better than I expected, far better in fact, they were superb. 

JP equally as superb and Painkiller was the pinnacle for me.

I almost attempted to take a couple of photos with my phone but I realised I have no fucking clue how to work the camera... and especially no idea how to zoom.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    I went to the Bournemouth show, which was great but what an appalling venue.  Won’t be rushing back there…. Huge queues for everything, lack of stewarding…people couldn’t get into the auditorium at all at one point during Uriah Heep.  Wouldn’t surprise me if they oversold the show tbh - it was so rammed. 

All three bands were great but was pleasantly surprised by Uriah Heep who I don’t really know anything about.  Mick Box is 76  :o
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11823
    I saw UH c. 20 years ago at (I think) the Shepherd's Bush Empire.  Thijs Van Leer joined them on stage.

I gear-humped for Saxon 44 years ago  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Offset said:
    I saw UH c. 20 years ago at (I think) the Shepherd's Bush Empire.  Thijs Van Leer joined them on stage.
    I'm trying to think of the time frame... I guess Trevor Bolder (RIP) and Lee Kerslake (RIP) would've still been in the band then.
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    I'm trying to think of the time frame... I guess Trevor Bolder (RIP) and Lee Kerslake (RIP) would've still been in the band then.
    Oooof... I had a backstage pass so I'll try and dig it out for the exact date.
    Found it!  23 years ago - bloody hell...

UH.jpg 621K
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Theme: Glam Rock.  =)

Was John Lawton (RIP) glam rock?  He'd left Uriah Heep 20+ years before that, of course.

Former Uriah Heep frontman John Lawton has died at 74 - Far Out Magazine
    ^^ I'd say that look is anything but glam!
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 546
    RobDavies said:
    I went to the Bournemouth show,
    Yep I was there too with my usual gig buddies. In theory it wasn't sold out (!?!), but I'd struggle to see how they would have crammed any more people in. Like one of those Japanese trains where they physically shove people onboard. Cracking show, shame we didn't get an appearance from Glenn like some of the other shows, but he obviously needs to take care of himself first and foremost.
    Offset said:
    ^^ I'd say that look is anything but glam!
    It's about as close as Uriah Heep ever got though.  I suppose David Byron (RIP) may have verged on a slightly glam image occasionally.

(Everyone's RIP when talking about Uriah Heep...  :/ )
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4796
    edited March 26
    Bernie Shaw has been the singer with UH since 1986. Lovely chap, and was my neighbour in London E14 for 15-20 years. The last time I saw UH was maybe 12 years ago at a festival in Switzerland. They were 2nd on the bill to Aussie Floyd. Lee Kerslake had already retired due to ill health but Trevor Bolder was still with them. He was very grumpy that they were supporting a “bloody cover band”… :-)

It was actually the second time I'd seen UH. The first time was at The Rainbow with Gary Thain, David Byron, Lee Kerslake and Ken Hensley all playing with Mick Box and supporting The Magicians Birthday album (IIRC). 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4796
    Fucking hell. Just found out that Bernie’s wife, Radka, died last year following a serious illness. Only 47 and a sweetheart. Grrrr… 
    It was actually the second time I'd seen UH. The first time was at The Rainbow with Gary Thain, David Byron, Lee Kerslake and Ken Hensley all playing with Mick Box and supporting The Magicians Birthday album (IIRC). 
    My previous time seeing Uriah Heep was in 1980, during John Sloman's brief tenure as singer.  I read Sloman's autobiography recently and he speaks highly of Box, Kerslake and especially Bolder.  He and Hensley did not hit it off, though.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11312
    In every interview I've seen/read with Mick Box he seems like a really nice bloke without any airs or graces. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 26
    Uriah Heep Live were one of my most-played live albums of the '70s.  It was up there with UFO's Strangers In The Night and Deep Purple's Made In Japan for me.  Absolutely loved them back in the day and I still enjoy listening to them.