Pretty cool... Eggle content.

What's Hot
SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
edited March 22 in Guitar
Just saw this up for sale and it is apparently the first Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro, made for the Chairman and Managing Director of Eggle, Andrew Selby in 1991. He made a pretty good choice on the finish in my opinion, looks classy...

(Apologies but I struggle with embedding images on here, otherwise I'd add the rest for you).

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Not quite sure what happened when it came to the serial no =)...

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6821
    There’s something about the Eggles that look like poor PRS copies, and I can’t work out why. I think the shape is close but poorly proportioned.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

• BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 127
    mrkb said:
    There’s something about the Eggles that look like poor PRS copies, and I can’t work out why. I think the shape is close but poorly proportioned.

To me, the shape is similar, but Eggles always look smaller, somehow.
    edited March 22
    mrkb said:
    They certainly didn't scrimp on the timber they used, but they are very compact - Like a mix between a PRS and a Musicman (re this model).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    I didn't realize the Berlin had an almost 26" scale (25 15/16).   Wonder where that came from.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    PhilKing said:
    I didn't realize the Berlin had an almost 26" scale (25 15/16).   Wonder where that came from.
    I spotted that.

The spec for the Berlin is 25”, which is what I measure mine as.  I wonder if it’s a mistake and should read 24 15/16” ?
    Schnozz said:
    mrkb said:
    They certainly didn't scrimp on the timber they used, but they are very compact - Like a mix between a PRS and a Musicman (re this model).
    The Eggle Berlin is quite a bit smaller than the standard PRS body shape

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    @Musicwolf - What pickups do you have?
    Schnozz said:
    @Musicwolf - What pickups do you have?
    Bare Knuckle VHII’s, recently fitted.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6821
    Musicwolf said:
    Schnozz said:
    mrkb said:
    The Eggle Berlin is quite a bit smaller than the standard PRS body shape

Thanks for that. I can see why now, the lower bouts are about the same size, but the Eggle upper bout is much smaller, hence look out of proportion. Eggle is also 24 frets so not a like for like comparison.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    Schnozz said:
    Not quite sure what happened when it came to the serial no =)...

Paint absorbed into wood, they all did that at first, here is the serial number on my BP 9100500 which apparently is the first of the production run, not special builds which started at BP91000001 as per the pic. I’m not worried about mine for two reasons, 1 it’s never being sold, 2 I have original paperwork

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3673
    edited March 23
    I have one of the original Eggles from 93.

Lovely guitar. The Wilkinson convertible trem is great. 
    My friend's father was/is a professional guitarist and he always used to say that the next guitar to buy (after my beginner guitar), was either an early 90s Eggle Berlin Pro, a late 70s / early 80s Yamaha SG2000, or a Japanese Levinson Blade RH4.

The Wilkinson convertible trem took me an afternoon to figure out, but it didn't take longer than a Floyd Rose to set up. I've been told you can switch to VS1000N if you don't like them, which I think they did later(?).

This is Andrew Selby here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GELOF3oWYhw
    I've never come across a Los Angeles model that hasn't been biffed about.
    Schnozz said:
    My friend's father was/is a professional guitarist and he always used to say that the next guitar to buy (after my beginner guitar), was either an early 90s Eggle Berlin Pro, a late 70s / early 80s Yamaha SG2000, or a Japanese Levinson Blade RH4.

The Wilkinson convertible trem took me an afternoon to figure out, but it didn't take longer than a Floyd Rose to set up. I've been told you can switch to VS1000N if you don't like them, which I think they did later(?).

This is Andrew Selby here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GELOF3oWYhw
    I've never come across a Los Angeles model that hasn't been biffed about.
    Never before has one short video contained so many dodgy haircuts.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11708
    mrkb said:
    Do you know, I was just thinking exactly the same thing.  
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    Offset said:
    mrkb said:
    It’s the reason why the Vienna Pro shape is soo much better.. 
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1580
    edited March 23
    I have one of the original Eggles from 93.

Lovely guitar. The Wilkinson convertible trem is great. 
    I've a '97 one.  As mentioned above, they are indeed a petite guitar - not unlike my old Westbury Deluxe in fact. I'm obviously biased, but yeah, they are a lovely thing.

Not shown there, but shortly after that pic, on advice from here changed the Wilkinson on mine to a Strat Trem. Good job.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    mrleon83 said:
    Offset said:
    mrkb said:
    It’s the reason why the Vienna Pro shape is soo much better.. 

The Climaxe which preceded the Berlin ( The brown one in the picture)was more like  a PRS especially the headstock which led to the inevitable court case from PRS and they got banned from the USA

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom