Have I broken a pick-up?

What's Hot
I took the wiring out of my Ibanez AS73 because the neck vol pot was being intermittent. I assumed something was grounding out. When I took the wiring out, it seems that the neck pot is working perfectly, as is the neck pick-up. The bridge however has gone from hero to zero, and isn’t working at all. I’ve traced all the wiring and everything is clean and solid. I took an alligator clip and connected the output lug of the switch to the hot of the bridge pick-up and still nothing. If I touch the pick-up I get buzz, but it’s not picking up the strings. Also, if I tap something metal on the pick-up slugs it makes a tinny click, not a thump like you would expect.

anyideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14464
    edited March 22
    If the entire wiring loom is out of the guitar, try to take DC resistance readings for each pickup. Test between the baseplate of each pickup and its contact on the selector switch.

Post your meter readings. Sit back and wait for @ICBM to provide the explanation.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 134
    edited March 22
    Ok my multimeter is broken…better buy one

when you say baseplate - that sounds like I need to take strings off and remove pickups - gah
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Sounds like the ground connection to the pickup or its volume control may be broken.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    OMG ICBM you’re 100% correct. Thank you
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Theory
    Logic
    Experience

I (used to) do this for a living .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks ICBM, I was doing it whilst frazzled last night in not great lighting. I think if I’d waited until this morning I might have spotted it myself. 

One thing that annoys me is the feeble thin wires coming off the pickups and another is the amount of stuff that needs to be grounded. 

Anyway, thanks again, I’m going to sort it out tonight hopefully and get her back in business.