Peavey Deuce lamp voltage?

robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3462
Any one know? Power and channel select? And are they neon bulbs? I think they are snap in types. I am thinking of replacing them with Green ones.
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    They’re LEDs. You can change them, but you will need to solder, and possibly change the limiting resistor.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3462
    ICBM said:
    They’re LEDs. You can change them, but you will need to solder, and possibly change the limiting resistor.
    Surely if I matched the voltage I wouldnt have to change the resistor? I take it the resistor limits voltage?
    robgilmo said:

Surely if I matched the voltage I wouldnt have to change the resistor? I take it the resistor limits voltage?
    No, the resistor limits current. Different coloured LEDs have different forward voltage, so you need a different resistor value to get the same current. You may or may not want it exactly the same though, since it controls the brightness. You may need to experiment a bit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    robgilmo said:

No, the resistor limits current. Different coloured LEDs have different forward voltage, so you need a different resistor value to get the same current. You may or may not want it exactly the same though, since it controls the brightness. You may need to experiment a bit.
    I see, so ideally a power supply and a few different resistors to find a match? Its a bit more involved that swapping out some bulbs. :0)
    robgilmo said:

I see, so ideally a power supply and a few different resistors to find a match? Its a bit more involved that swapping out some bulbs. :0)
    Yes, or just run a couple of temporary wires out of the amp so you can clip things.

I used to change the LEDs in all my pedals so the colours matched the colour of the pedal, roughly - partly 'just because', but partly because it makes it much easier to tell at a quick glance what's on, when the stage is dark, so I could claim it wasn't purely for looks ;). Once you've done a few you start to get a feel for the values.

Any idea of the voltage on those lamps? The schematic doesnt say, or I just cant read it properly.
    robgilmo said:
    Any idea of the voltage on those lamps? The schematic doesnt say, or I just cant read it properly.
    They will typically be driven from the +/- 15V supply (not sure which side) so quite safe to handle even powered up.