Waves- Guthrie Govan

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
I fancy having a crack at learning this track - well the first 40s or so as the main riff. But I am interested in unpacking the theory behind it. I have found a few yt and tabs but can anyone give me a head start on what he is doing in terms of the arpeggios over the chords?

An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10708
    edited March 23
    It's all notes from F# natural minor (or Aeolian if you prefer).

It's clever what he does, he almost makes it sound like he's got an octave pedal and he's flipping between an upper and lower octave (and it's probably a lot easier to play if you do do that), but knowing him he's just playing it without a pedal. The effect is a much more spikey, less "scalar" melody than if he'd stayed within one octave.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 662
    As @viz says, it’s in F#m (as a general overview). This is only my rough take on what is going on and I’ve not analysed it any great depth, but a little more specifically, he’s playing arpeggios of each chord in the progression:

F#m7 - C#m7 - F#m7 - C#m7
    Bm7 - C#m7 - F#m7
    Dsus2 - Esus2 - F#m7
    Dsus2 -  Esus2 - Bm7

For the most part, he tends to approach each arpeggio note from a scale tone above or below. Approach notes are generally on the downbeat and arpeggio notes on the up beat and he’s displacing the arps. He doesn’t play the notes in strict order - the first 4 notes are E F# G# A, which is just a stepwise thing. But he moves the G# and A up an octave which, when done with the rest of the arpeggios and sliding into them, creates that incredibly wide, back and forth intervallic sound… evoking the sound of “Waves” perhaps?

If I spent time properly looking at it I’m sure I’d find a particular pattern that’s going on or at least give you more to work with. Hope that sheds a little bit of light on it anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Thanks both. I am looking forward to getting stuck in to figure out the patterns and concepts. @viz as far as I can tell there is no pedal (well from the live videos) so it’s pure Guthrie. What I like about it is the originality- I cannot think of another piece that sounds anything like it and for that you have to take your hat off to him
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    edited March 24
    Lovely stuff from Brad.

There are a few other players who enjoy the old octave scales - Steve Vai in the middle of Juice at 2:10 springs to mind, and Petrucci loves doing it. But yep, only good guitarists do it!

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    edited March 24
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1359
    edited March 26
    If only the rest of the song was as good as the first 40 seconds  - it just doesn't seem to go anywhere afterwards.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...