Ric330 locking tuners

What's Hot
DebDeb Frets: 0
The Ric 330 Thinline I picked up used has nice Schaller tuners with the stamp “made in Germany”. I like the convenience and stability of locking tuners on my Fender teles and wonder if I should switch out my Ric tuners. Any advice?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skayskay Frets: 394
    A big fat 'nope' from me, as after a good set-up and NYXL strings, I can play a 4-hour rehearsal and not even need to tune up my Ric once, my bass player actually tunes up more often than I do!

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    Don't see the need for locking tuners on a Rickenbacker - If you are having any tuning issues, it will be more than likely the top nut and it just needs 'cleaning out' 

Locking tuners on a Ricky will certainly be no more stable one bit - Convenience, then sure, it might be 5 seconds quicker, per string to tune up, after a re-string, but so what 

Pointless exercises in my opinion - Fine on a Strat, or guitars with a trem, but pointless otherwise 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72352
    You can get locking versions of the same tuners if you want them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    You can get locking versions of the same tuners if you want them.
    Don’t the string posts now look stupidly high though?
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    I think Hipshot do ones that will fit that lock from the rear so post height shouldn't be an issue
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    guitars4you said:

I think they've increased the height of the knurled locking caps, but I haven't seen the new ones in person.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22858
    ICBM said:
    guitars4you said:

I think they've increased the height of the knurled locking caps, but I haven't seen the new ones in person.
    Can you not get rear-locking ones as well?  I know they would add extra weight.
    Philly_Q said:

I don’t think they do the rear-locking ones with the same screw lug position as the M6 Minis Rickenbacker use.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22858
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

I don’t think they do the rear-locking ones with the same screw lug position as the M6 Minis Rickenbacker use.
    Ah, do they have a straight lug like PRS Phase II tuners?

NEW PRS NICKEL PHASE II LOCKING TUNER TREBLE SIDE GUITAR PART PAUL REED  SMITH  Reverb UK
    Philly_Q said:

Ah, do they have a straight lug like PRS Phase II tuners?
    Yes.