Onboard preamps/boosters/mid boosts

What's Hot
I’d like to pimp my strat for a tricked-out session Guitar. It has the Fender Hot Noiseless set and a mojo baseplate under the bridge. I’ve always fancied one of those built in preamps, maybe on a push push switch a la Valley Arts. I’d be quite pleased with just a vol boost but mid boost could be useful also.

Anyone here have experience of something like this, if so recommendations and pitfalls to avoid?

It seems EMG do quite a few options.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    edited March 23
    A full-range booster is exactly that. It makes the full frequency range louder. This is good for driving valve pre-amp stages harder for more grit/dirt.

Midrange boosters also make the signal louder but, it could be argued, in a more useful way. Turning up the midrange whilst barely altering the treble and bass frequencies will imbue your Stratocaster pickups with a more humbucker-like tone.

I have used the EMG-SPC in several guitars. I like it best in my elderly Charvel Model 3 with EMG-SLV, -SLV, -HA pickups. Bridge + middle + boost compensates for not having a humbucker as bridge pickup.

I am also quite keen on the Seymour Duncan Prototype EQ device (as used by Frank Zappa). This combined a cut/boost control and a centre frequency selector.

The EMG-VMC works the same way. IMO, its sweepable frequency control would be of greater use in a studio guitar than the -SPC.

The downside to any of these devices is the need to make space for a PP3 to power the electronical gubbins. It is usually possible to cram it into the control cavity. OTOH, it is a drag, having to slacken the strings and raise the pickguard just to check/replace the battery.

There is, therefore, an argument for applying the boost outboard. Some Fretboarders favour graphic EQ pedals. Alternatively, there are semi-parametric EQ pedals. These usually have a pot to dial in the frequency band to be cut/boosted.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27002
    The only common circuit I’ve used is the Alembic blaster. Mines in a pedal format rather than onboard, but the circuit is my favourite “clean” boost (actually slightly mid-focused) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 134
    Thanks for the advice…it doesn’t take a lot of effort to set up a pedal, but the idea of having it built into the guitar is more fun to me.

One thing is I don’t fancy cutting a hole in my USA strat…am I being silly? It’s just an object isn’t it?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    Onboard boosters are helpful if you are going to be making frequent adjustments. 

Pedals make more sense if you just need increased level/drive for soloing.

The Charvel Model 3 mentioned previously has the unfair advantage of rear access to the control cavity.

My recollection is that, on his personal modern Stratocasters, Clapton has the PP3 in the vibrato spring cavity. If any wood has been removed to allow this, it is concealed beneath the cover plate.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • motorheadmotorhead Frets: 27
     Not sure if true but I read somewhere that the Clapton strat uses the same Demeter circuit as the Tyler Studio Elite. It’s an interesting add.
    A full-range booster is exactly that. It makes the full frequency range louder. This is good for driving valve pre-amp stages harder for more grit/dirt.

Midrange boosters also make the signal louder but, it could be argued, in a more useful way. Turning up the midrange whilst barely altering the treble and bass frequencies will imbue your Stratocaster pickups with a more humbucker-like tone.

I have used the EMG-SPC in several guitars. I like it best in my elderly Charvel Model 3 with EMG-SLV, -SLV, -HA pickups. Bridge + middle + boost compensates for not having a humbucker as bridge pickup.

I am also quite keen on the Seymour Duncan Prototype EQ device (as used by Frank Zappa). This combined a cut/boost control and a centre frequency selector.

The EMG-VMC works the same way. IMO, its sweepable frequency control would be of greater use in a studio guitar than the -SPC.

The downside to any of these devices is the need to make space for a PP3 to power the electronical gubbins. It is usually possible to cram it into the control cavity. OTOH, it is a drag, having to slacken the strings and raise the pickguard just to check/replace the battery.

There is, therefore, an argument for applying the boost outboard. Some Fretboarders favour graphic EQ pedals. Alternatively, there are semi-parametric EQ pedals. These usually have a pot to dial in the frequency band to be 

i think I’d rather make a hole in the back of the guitar but I don’t know what tool one would use. Might be a job for a luthier
  • jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 636

i think I’d rather make a hole in the back of the guitar but I don’t know what tool one would use. Might be a job for a luthier

Router with an accurate template for a plastic battery box is the correct tool.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Clapton's strat tucks the battery in a small recess in the trem spring cavity
  • motorheadmotorhead Frets: 27
    Tylers have latched plastic holder recessed into the back. I’d be surprised if it was’t an off the shelf part for any 9v powered gadget. I don’t know where the Demeter unit goes.
  • MARVlNMARVlN Frets: 108
    I personally like the circuit from the Levinson Blade series (I bought a replica PCB) as it gives two modes besides 'off' - a mid-boost and a bass/treble boost - all can be dialed in.

As for battery space, you could investigate using three CR2032 (coin cell) or similar in series - they're 3V each, so 9V total, and even in a holder should take up a lot less room than a PP3. Unless anyone can think of anything obviously wrong in this. They won't last as long of course, but then again effects batteries last ages anyway.
  • jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 636

Start at £1.32 for a basic one. Nice hinged ones with catches available also cheap. They are everywhere. Rout a hole screw it in.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7233
    edited March 27
    I'm not sure what the Artec modules are like in terms of build quality and sound quality, but it might be something you would consider testing out:

MARVlN said:
    I personally like the circuit from the Levinson Blade series (I bought a replica PCB) as it gives two modes besides 'off' - a mid-boost and a bass/treble boost - all can be dialed in.
    That's one of the things I like about my Levinson Blade, however the circuit on mine has been playing up.  I bought it 2nd-hand through a retailer fitted with the VSC (variable spectrum control) version 4, but the version 3 module was in the case.  I don't know if the v3 one packed in and was replaced or if it was just upgraded.
    BillDL said:
    I'm not sure what the Artec modules are like in terms of build quality and sound quality, but it might be something you would consider testing out:

MARVlN said:
    That's one of the things I like about my Levinson Blade, however the circuit on mine has been playing up.  I bought it 2nd-hand through a retailer fitted with the VSC (variable spectrum control) version 4, but the version 3 module was in the case.  I don't know if the v3 one packed in and was replaced or if it was just upgraded.
    I’ve got nothing against Artec - they seem like a rather ingenious company with lots of niche products that fill gaps in the market. I use one of their undersaddle piezos and an also parametric EQ pedal. 
    Does anyone know if the Artec Vintage Tone Booster is a booster or an overdrive circuit? In the blurb it seems to indicate that it adds distortion of some kind.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7233
    edited March 28
    Does anyone know if the Artec Vintage Tone Booster is a booster or an overdrive circuit? In the blurb it seems to indicate that it adds distortion of some kind.
    It's not really clear how much "boost" that module offers, and their graph isn't large enough to see clearly:

This might be a bit clearer enlarged and colour inverted:

Thanks Bill - it looks like a flat boost at about 6dB