Two-knob amps - what’s out there?

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
Having played through amps like Fender’s Pro Jnr, and currently owning an Award-Session 5E3 Extra, I’ve found I’ve got a bit of a thing for ‘two-knob’ amps. OK, I’ll admit the 5E3 Extra also has a master volume but still essentially a ‘two-knobber’.

I’m not currently looking for a new amp but just wondering out of curiosity what else is out there?
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maharg101maharg101 Frets: 690
    Valvepower 18 watt cage amp - gain / tone plus power scaling, but definitely a 2 knobber in spirit!

Contact @steves025uk of this parish.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    Love the Dr Z Carmen Ghia when I had one. Sounded huge. Took pedals really well and was lovely and responsive. Wish I'd kept it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3909
    Tone King Gremlin?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 274
    I enjoyed my Victory BD-1 head. Reasonably priced used, small, and I enjoyed the range of tones. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    Fender Musicmaster Bass - designed as a practice bass amp, but also good for guitar. Quite a unique small Fender, made in the 1970s but a much older circuit configuration than the other SF amps, 12W 2-6V6 with a transformer phase inverter. They have a rough, bluesy/Americana type overdrive and a nice open tone from the big cabinet and 12” speaker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9553
    A few of the Dr Z (great) amps have 2/3 knobs
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 853
    +1 on the Dr Z Carmen Ghia
    A fab little amp that really lets the guitars natural sound shine through. Wound up it sounds glorious and takes pedals so very well.

Had a couple over the years and like a fool, sold them on for supposedly better things.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    2 knobs? Pah! You and your fancy, new-fangled technology.

Victoria 5112 - 1 knob that doubles as a power switch.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    The Yerasov GTA15 used to get a lot of love, a Pro Junior type I think. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7429
    I had a clone of a Marshall/Wem 18w - if you ignore the trem, that's a 2 knob amp.

(Which made it odd that after I sold it the guy kept emailing me asking for my 'suggested settings' for various sounds.)
    Red ones are better. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    There is a Victoria Two Stroke in the classifieds at the moment. 2 knobs
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6719
    Genuinely thought this was going to be a thread slagging off Two-Rock owners. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3876
    Two knobs and the truth. All you need. Love this approach.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31605
    Before you look for another amp, are you running your 5E3 Extra through an attenuator?

I have one permanently plugged in in the back of mine and it sounds fantastic, proper squishy, messy, fuzzed out tones which clean up beautifully from the guitar, especially on the 7w setting. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4792
    Deadman said:
    Tone King Gremlin?
    Absolutely! I'd love to find an excuse to buy one. 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    As @TimmyO says above the Marshall WEM 18 watters are very much “2 knob” in use.

The variant I have is built from an Ampmaker kit, it loses the stuff related to the tremolo in the original but gains a power scaling knob, a selector switch for Single ended or Class B operation, and a (defeatable) added control for pulling the bass back a bit (mostly to stop things getting “flubby” when cranked up with humbuckers) - in use the extra bits are pretty much “set and forget” for a given situation at which point to all intents and purposes it plays like a two knob amp.

And it’s great! 
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    p90fool said:
    Before you look for another amp, are you running your 5E3 Extra through an attenuator?

I have one permanently plugged in in the back of mine and it sounds fantastic, proper squishy, messy, fuzzed out tones which clean up beautifully from the guitar, especially on the 7w setting. 
    No I’m not. Since it has a master volume I can get a certain amount of saturation at quite low volumes - certainly enough for what I want. I’m not too bothered about getting those ragged farty Neil Young sounds. More a Claptonesque tone that can be achieved at home volume.

I’m not particularly looking for another amp right now. It’s just that I have been really pleased with the 5E3 Extra (and with other ‘two-knob’ amps I’ve experienced) that that’s definitely the way I’d go if / when I feel the need for something else.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Supro Thunderbolt s6420. 35w through a 15" speaker, so not remotely useable at home without an attenuator.

https://www.suprousa.com/amplifiers/thunderbolt/
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 261
    Why have 2 knobs when one will do?

2000s Epiphone Valve Junior Combo 5w image 1
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.