A.I. vocal creation - O.M.G. !!

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24401
You have to see this....

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7899
    All very flat and compressed, but one day it will be as good as a human. 

Its good enough for 95% of chart music
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 631
    The number of people in the comments who seem excited by this is depressing.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4934
    Coming to all hotel lifts near you real soon.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 686
    edited March 24
    That's pretty cool. Sky's the limit! 
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1727
    Check out this page on Instagram - very funny and great use of AI vocals :-) 

https://www.instagram.com/there_i_ruined_it/ ;
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1028
    Talking of AI Tools,

Separate Guitar,Bass etc for Free !

“Ken sent me.”
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6712
    yeah great, two nerdy men jerking each other off whilst putting singers out of work.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26668
    TheMarlin said:
    All very flat and compressed, but one day it will be as good as a human. 

Its good enough for 95% of chart music
    Seems like there's quite a lot that can be done with the dynamics in there - and it's the character of the sound, not just volume.
    barnstorm said:
    The number of people in the comments who seem excited by this is depressing.
    I'd guess that most of them are guitarists who've had to deal with trying to record singers at some point in their lives...
    <space for hire>
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 686
    edited March 26
    merlin said:
    yeah great, two nerdy men jerking each other off whilst putting singers out of work.
    I'd see it more as allowing singers/people to be far more creative. 
    edited March 26
    merlin said:
    Realistically, who's going to be put out of work here? This isn't going to be used in pro studios, it's 99% going to be used by hobbyists...who don't pay anybody to sing on their tracks.

The other 1% will be for demo guide tracks to be given to actual session musicians to explain what the composer wants.

EDIT: And if you're a session singer who's not capable of doing better than an AI part written by somebody who's not a singer, then should you actually be doing that job anyway? It's no different to drum plugins in that regard, and - last I checked - there weren't any drummers out of work because of those.
    <space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28533
    merlin said:
    My experience is that singers put themselves out of work. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1508
    I can also see it being useful for singers producing their own music who want additional voices for a song. 
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Talking of AI Tools,

Separate Guitar,Bass etc for Free !

Have you actually tried it.

I've attempted to use it several times.

Results vary from

Quite good
    Very poor
    Didn't work at all and generated 4 empty tracks.

Just wondering if anyone has had better results than me.
    I guess the discussion about AI replacing artists, writers, musicians is a complex one. 

Overall as a sketch book idea it's fine and works quickly and well. My question is how soon before people get used to it and it starts becoming the norm? 
    merlin said:
    I guess the discussion about AI replacing artists, writers, musicians is a complex one. 

Overall as a sketch book idea it's fine and works quickly and well. My question is how soon before people get used to it and it starts becoming the norm? 
    Well, I guess you could look at it another way - completely contradicting my previous post, it's guaranteed to be used in places like the Nashville factory, and will effectively put an end to the exploitation of naive singers there. And, frankly, it's pretty likely that nobody will notice any difference in the quality of musical output.

Whether or not it's a good thing is entirely in the eyes of the beholder.

In the "worst case", it'll enhance the business model for places that just chuck out music as a commodity, but it kinda feels to me like that won't make any difference because that music is just on in the background for most people who listen to it anyway, rather than being actively listened to.
    <space for hire>
    merlin said:

Well, I guess you could look at it another way - completely contradicting my previous post, it's guaranteed to be used in places like the Nashville factory, and will effectively put an end to the exploitation of naive singers there. And, frankly, it's pretty likely that nobody will notice any difference in the quality of musical output.

In the "worst case", it'll enhance the business model for places that just chuck out music as a commodity, but it kinda feels to me like that won't make any difference because that music is just on in the background for most people who listen to it anyway, rather than being actively listened to.
    The thing that is truly terrifying is not that AI will put people out of work, We should be happy that we can live a life of leisure. The issue is that in our "society", if you don't have a job then you're considered worthless. 
    merlin said:
    merlin said:

The thing that is truly terrifying is not that AI will put people out of work, We should be happy that we can live a life of leisure. The issue is that in our "society", if you don't have a job then you're considered worthless. 
    Indeed. The real problem is whether society, politics and the economy will keep up with the technological changes.

For what it's worth, I spent the weekend building a ChatGPT-alike on my server from the available open source LLMs - it works faster than ChatGPT at comparable quality (for the stuff I'm doing), using a £300 graphics card and a PC from 4-5 years ago.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom