Can’t import new Gibson from EU anymore?

What's Hot
i_b_tullochi_b_tulloch Frets: 105
I saw a nice new Gibson Custom Shop M2M from a Gibson dealer in Germany, with slightly different specs that I like, so I asked for some more details, photos etc. They replied that they noticed my email was from the uk, and they can’t ship it to me as Gibson only allow them to ship within the EU. This came as a bit of a surprise - anyone else aware of this, or is it a recent change? 

So now it looks like there is no option to buy new Gibson from the EU, and we will have to pay 20% VAT on any used Gibsons. Not great. 

My Trading Feedback Link is here i_b_tulloch

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2395
    That's mad - a couple of the German dealers do the most interesting M2Ms. As in, actually interesting colours and specs as opposed to slightly different shades of sunburst.
    Tim
  • i_b_tullochi_b_tulloch Frets: 105
    Exactly. Most of the M2Ms I have been attracted to have been from Germany. I wonder if this has started due to the new Gibson place that recently opened in London? 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14262
    tFB Trader
    Just a guess, as this appears to be a new policy, I wonder if it is to do with the Gibson Garage now open - Don’t want EU dealers undermining their set-up - Just a hunch 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    I don’t know if it’s still true, but a few years ago US Charvel Custom Shop dealers couldn’t ship outside the States.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PALPAL Frets: 539
    I think they were just trying to fob you off because they couldn't be bothered. Try and buy the guitar online and see if you are  stopped from buying it ! What you could do is contact the Gibson Garage London and get there opinion on this ! Good Luck.
    @guitars4you I suspect it is linked to the Gibson Garage opening in London. Seems a bit of a strange move, not sure of the logic there. 

edited March 24
    @PAL I did actually try that and there was no option to send to the UK.

The guy said that Gibson wouldn’t be happy about them sending outwith the EU. I may try other dealers to see if they are the same. 

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2470
    Sweetwater don’t ship outside of the US, the Andertons website has a whole list of brands they can’t ship internationally too, including fender and Gibson. Peach says to check whether the brand you want can be shipped before ordering.

Sounds like this is a result of leaving the single market tbh
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14262
    edited March 24 tFB Trader
    @guitars4you I suspect it is linked to the Gibson Garage opening in London. Seems a bit of a strange move, not sure of the logic there. 
    Yes I noticed you beat me to posting that thought by a minute 
    I tend to think you are in the right direction 

funny that they were not bothered before, when they were just a distributor- But now it might have an impact on their sales they are suddenly interested in such policies 
    I just tried to checkout a Gibson from another German dealer and it does give you the option to ship to the UK, but I suspect that it would only flag up any issue if I went through with the order.

Seems like it may align with @elstoof comments, where they can’t ship certain brands. 

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2395
    Sounds like someone in Germany could turn a nice little side hustle by offering a Trogly-style forwarding service.
    Tim
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 489
    I brought mine from a German store few months back, so this is definitely a new policy, which sucks because as you said German stores specs great M2M Gibsons.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    Thomann will still sell you a Gibson. Maybe it’s M2M only.
    edited March 24
    So the plot thickens. I just emailed a store in Germany with new Gibsons, and they replied saying they can ship to the UK. Seems it may just be an issue with a specific store after all. May be that they can’t be bothered with the hassle of sending to the UK as @PAL suggested. 

• notsopronotsopro Frets: 231
    elstoof said:
    Sweetwater don’t ship outside of the US, the Andertons website has a whole list of brands they can’t ship internationally too, including fender and Gibson. Peach says to check whether the brand you want can be shipped before ordering.

I don't think this has anything to do with the single market, it is just the agreement dealers have in place when they purchase items. If it was related to the single market you'd find that sweetwater would ship to Germany, or the German store would ship to the US, but they won't.

The only thing that confuses me a little is I'm pretty sure I looked at buying one of these brands from Thomann a while back and sent a few query e-mails, and never mentioned me being in the UK would be an issue.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    elstoof said:

Nah.

It will just be anticompetitive policy. 

Happens on loads of brands.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2470
    edited March 24
    Which is something that being a member of the single market circumvented, when buying guitars from Germany etc
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5422
    edited March 24
    It is simply anticompetition but if we were still in the single market they wouldn’t be able to legally refuse, soooo…

Anyway wonder if some dealers will just be doing it quietly, just not “automatically” - as in, no “click and buy” into the UK but drop them an email and they’ll help you out.
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited March 24
    This is all Bull Shit Price fixing by companies and I’m not sure it’s legal Like Retail price fixing years ago.
    Nobody can print a Recommended Retail Price List in the UK since the late 70s.
    Sony were the worse culprit back then.
    You lost your dealership if you sold cheaper than there RRP.
    They were a bigger gang than the NYPD back then.
    Then the Suggested retail price list was born .
    Same old shit different wording