Jazz Master / Jaguar Tremolo Buzz Stop Questions?

What's Hot
Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
edited March 24 in Guitar
Has anyone any thoughts on using one of these to stop buzzing / Ringing ?
Have you tried one and like it ?
Have you tried one and found it changed the sound to much so removed it ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    I'd try shimming the neck first - might be a better first solution that doesn't cost anything.

I've got 3 offsets, two are 'modern' USA reissues (AV65 Jag and AV66 JM) that have an angled neck pocket from the factory, and a shim under my partsa-Jazzmaster's neck, and no issues with buzzing with any of them. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14428
    Bridge up, neck shimmed, big strings (especially for Jaguar).
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    It was after watching this video yesterday that got me thinking about a three P90 Jazz master I modified a few years ago that had an annoying ringe / buzz so haven’t used it for years.
    https://youtu.be/QLfBLvURaA4?si=VQ-RgH60kYhL1XPr
    I hadn’t thought about shimming .
    I had a chat with Dunsy and he suggested one of these might be useful.
    https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/WSC-Partsland-Tremolo-Buzz-Stop/art-GIT0043614-000
    So thought I would try one to see what it brings to the party.
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 138
    Try threading a rubber band through the strings behind the bridge to deaden the ringing. I quickly decided I like it, it's part of the sound.
    Buzzing OTOH I found mostly came from my collet so a Staytrem collet fixed that

Ian
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3203
    It’s a solution to a problem that isn’t there imo. The overtones the bridge design gives are something that make the classic percussive Jag/Jazzmaster sound. What the buzz stop really does is change the string angle and increase the downward pressure on the bridge, which is fine, but easily remedied by heavier strings or the inevitable mustang/starytrem/mastery bridge swap. At a time when offsets were less fashionable and there was less discussion of these things, people were less likely to be changing the bridge and potentially trying to play a Jag with 9s, at which point there was probably an element of value to the buzz stop. However, I had one briefly and it didn’t improve anything.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27000
    edited March 25
    I'd just thread a bit of felt around the strings if I want to deaden them. Buzztops are completely unnecessary in a world where Staytrem/Mastery/Tuffset bridges exist. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • 19831983 Frets: 21
    I’d say watch Puisheens YouTube videos on offset setup for tips! He’s the man. A lot of people say buzz stops are tone killers. Try a bit of foam instead. Free and effective. 
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    My Buzz Stop arrived earlier from Cologne in a massive box without any packing material.
    A jiffy bag would have done job.
    https://ibb.co/L9xDJZC
    Will dig the guitar out and fit it later in the week and see what difference (good or bad ) it makes.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12328
    I put one on my Jag, it affected tuning stability when using the Trem.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"