Action Camera Suggestions

BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2185
Anyone got a view on what action camera I should buy currently? 

Going on holiday at Easter and want to record snorkelling and beach stuff with the kids. 

Looking in to it best options seem to be GoPro 12 or 11 or the DJI Action 3 or 4. 

Anyone have any of these and an opinion? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4141
    If you don't intend to use it a lot and require high production values then some of the £40+ ones on Amazon are absolutely fine. We've got two of them and they are surprisingly good. 

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5770
    If there’s a DJI option on a product, I’d always choose that. I’ve had a number of drones, mic systems, gimbals and video cameras. Every single one has been both flawless and incredibly good for some hard working pro use. 

All the other stuff might be equally good, just no experience there. 
  • DJI Osmi Pocket for me.. great gimbal camera that can also be used as a chesty cam.. best of both worlds as standard for me.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4141
    I've got the MK1 DJI OSMO Pocket and it's fabulous. But while an underwater mount is available it's probably a faff as that kind of action camera - a GoPro form factor.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    DJI over GoPro…this isn’t from me but what people I watch on YouTube suggests.  They say GoPro would randomly cut out whereas DJI does not.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3683
    edited March 24
    Had a waterproof case for a GoPro .. worked fine but a faff.

But the camera that by far got the most use snorkelling and in the surf and on the sandy beaches was a waterproof Panasonic LUMIX compact,  much much better stills.  Does video too.

We got some great shots of the kids swimming with Turtles underwater off Hawaii.   Ideal to leave with kids with a floater strap and strapped to their wrist.  They can play in rock pools for hours with it.

If I was buying today the Olympus/OM Tough might be my personal choice. Same idea but newer. 4K video, etc.
    https://explore.omsystem.com/gb/en/tg-7

A lot of action cams are video oriented and work best stuck on helmets, etc.

Lot depends on what you or the kids want to capture.