SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB P90 set

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
Hi all,

I have just bought a PRS SE Soapbar and I am wanting a set of black P90 soapbar to replace the ones it came with as they are too hot for my taste and lack a bit of clarity. 

Has anyone a set going?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    edited March 24
    Original (25.0" scale) single cutaway, 245 with maple cap or the double cutaway Soapbar II? 

EDIT
    You could do a lot worse than visit Oil City Pickups' thread, Great Workshop Clear-Out part 2. (No affiliation. I just buy his pickups more often than is good for my bank balance.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Hi,

it’s the Soapbar 1 I have. 
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    I have the same PRS SE Soapbar. I put some Oil City P90s in it. The Firewatch in the bridge and the Jazzwatch in the neck.

The original PRS pickups had a certain mid-focused crunchy/spiky vibe that actually worked quite well for me, with a bit of crunch/distortion.

I much prefer the Oil City pickups, though, in general. Night and day for clean tones, in particular.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    edited March 26
    I have a first generation SE Soapbar. I opted for a pair of pre-owned Lindy Fralin +10% overwound P90s.

In other P90-equipped guitars, I have used Alegree. I have the equivalent of a Sea Smoke N and a Desert Dew B. The latter has undergone a magnet swap.

If I were only allowed one make/model of P90, it would probably be the Seymour Duncan Antiquity. 

Strangely, the only Oil City P90-format pickup I have tried is a Blackbird humbucker. This succeeds totally at what it sets out to do. Unfortunately, it exceeds the OP's brief. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    Oil City make fabulous P90’s!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom