SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: 1965 Gibson ES175 DN

What's Hot
solarsolar Frets: 174
This guitar is something special.

Owned by my uncle for over 25 years, until his death last month. Played only at home. I'm selling on behalf of his widow. I believe only a handful of natural finish double-humbucker ES175s were produced in 1965, so this is exceedingly rare, and is in pretty much perfect condition. There's a small mark on the upper bout which looks like a strap pin was installed and then later removed, but other than that you're unlikely to find a better example. I'd be keeping it myself if I wasn't a lefty! Guitar comes with what I believe is the original case (or at least a contemporary Gibson case).

I've had some valuations and I'm posting this at what I feel is a realistic price, but I am happy to entertain serious offers. Not looking for any trades. Payment would be by bank transfer. I'm based in East Sussex and I wouldn't be prepared to post this guitar, so I'm happy to travel within reason to meet a serious buyer. You are also welcome to organise a courier if you have one you trust!

I've included a few photos below, but there's also an album of many more high-resolution photos here: https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0baPz3Sip8vkNFzZRf-hSBgwQ

Please PM me if you have any questions or need to see anything in more detail.

£8500

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    edited March 25
    Well... Credit to your uncle for looking after it and sorry to hear of his passing. One of the coolest guitars I've seen in a long time - A Steve Howe special. I'd start re-training your hands to play righty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 462
    That’s a real beauty - sorry to hear he has passed, he had great taste in guitars.  
    Did the valuations mention more about the specs of the guitar neck nut width, depth and profile, weight and if the electronics and hardware are original?  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Standard nut width or narrow nut width?
  • solarsolar Frets: 174
    The valuations were approximate and based purely on the photographs. As far as I know, my uncle was the second owner, which strongly implies that the electronics are original. However, if it's important to have this verified then I can look into doing so.

I have a set of digital callipers so I am happy to measure any neck dimensions that might be useful. I'll measure the nut width this evening.
  • That's lovely, Interested in the specs on this one being in that transition period. 
    So.. by my measurements the nut is 42.87mm, which I think makes it 1 11/16", which I think is the wider version of the nut width?

The width of the neck where it meets the body is about 53mm.

The neck "depth" (distance between the fretboard and the back of the neck) at the nut is roughly 21mm (this is a bit hard to measure with the strings on, so take it with a pinch of salt).

Any other measurements or photos that would be useful?
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    Gorgeous guitar! Pretty sure 175 and other jazz boxes don’t get the narrow nut until 66 or 67.

Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    koss59 said:
    Gorgeous guitar! Pretty sure 175 and other jazz boxes don’t get the narrow nut until 66 or 67.

Ooh, that's good knowledge - I didn't know that.
    Bump
    Bump before considering other options..
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Beautiful guitar & I’m sorry to hear of your Uncles passing.
  • Very nice. Might be worth putting it on the jazzguitaronline site if you haven't already.