Point of string breakage and diagnosis

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 816
If my first string broke at this location - and I had taken 2 or 3 winds around the post (even though it is a locking tuner), i’m guessing that would negate a sharp edge on my tuning post, causing the breakage? 

Especially since I can see about half an inch worth of string proximal to the point where it enters the hole of the tuner post (second picture).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    edited March 25
    Like the B string, your top E string appears to run over the tuning post for a bit before straightening out. So no it doesn't negate a sharp, or rough part of the post. Have a feel. 

Was the string wound going over a part of itself?
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I only ever get this if I've slackened off and re-tightened several times. Typically happens when I'm messing under the pickguard and need to take the neck off. It's normally a case of when, not if it'll break :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72362
    String crossed over itself? The B is…

I would always put the absolute minimum possible wind on a locking tuner, unless - often with the G - you really need to increase the break angle at the nut. I pull the string through the tuner until it’s tight before locking.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 816
    Thanks guys - I find with locking tuners if I put the 'absolute minimum possible wind' (like what ICBM stated), then pretty much invariably it will break when I slacken the string for whatever.

That never happens with conventional/vintage tuners.

So I put a couple of winds on, since the locking mechanism is irrelevant to me...
    'Strings crossed over themselves' -  that's a good point, I shall be careful :)
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 699
    I always go with 2 winds around before tightening for low E & A strings, and 3 for the rest; it's worked for me for many years now.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader
    jaymenon said:
    Thanks guys - I find with locking tuners if I put the 'absolute minimum possible wind' (like what ICBM stated), then pretty much invariably it will break when I slacken the string for whatever.
    Elixir strings? 
    No Steve - I find that with D'Addario EXL110s...

If I for example, slacken the strings, take the neck off to get at the pickguard etc, then re-attach neck and tune up again: 

With vintage tuners I can do this multiple times without any problems.

With locking tuners, the strings tend to break - very often. 
    That tendency is less if I have a couple of winds around the post.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Locking tuners do not like you to slacken off and refit strings . 
    We speak of Sperzel woes in regard to this in the past 
    Whilst it could be a burr or a sharp edge on the tuner barrel (which could be smoothed with some abrasive cord (see Mitchells abrasive cord) it could often be where the retaining pin puts a dent in the string  and it becomes a weak point

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14266
    tFB Trader

Whilst it could be a burr or a sharp edge on the tuner barrel (which could be smoothed with some abrasive cord (see Mitchells abrasive cord) it could often be where the retaining pin puts a dent in the string  and it becomes a weak point
    Both are my gut feeling - Even a sharp edge on the 'exit/entry' of the string post hole or in the hole itself - A quick clean with a small needle file, through the hole and the edge of the hole and a quick clean around the post itself with wet n dry 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    jaymenon said:
    the locking mechanism is irrelevant to me
    In which case, why have them?

Regardless of the locking mechanism type, each string is gripped by the application of pressure via a hardened steel surface. This invariably compresses and fatigues the string. (The old PRS "wing collar" machineheads leave two kinks approximately 4mm apart.)

In attempting to re-tightened old strings, the temptation is to realign the compression/fatigue spot with the locking mechanism. Unfortunately, this invites new compression and fatigue at a slightly different angle to the original locking point, weakening the string exponentially. It is doomed to break.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    I only have locking tuners on my Gretsch. And I use Thomastiks which have never broken in a gig situation. When I restring I don't use the locking tuners and just string as usual.