NGD: Out for delivery... DELIVERED!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3914
    Mate that’s lovely. What a distinctive looking thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 284
    edited March 26
    A beauty! A vintage Yammy often punches well above its weight. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2169
    Lovely guitar congratulations 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1514
    Ok, that’s lovely. What a nice guitar. Congratulations. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader
    Nice score! congrats... I had a '68 SA50, very similar but I like the head shape on yours better.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4149
    I stripped everything down this evening, gave it all a good clean, took lots of measurements, then set it up for my preferred 11s. Instant improvement, and the sitar-ing’s gone too now; the e & B (nylon) saddles needed a slight cleanup and re-slotting. They (and the bridge) are a cool design, it could be fun to try and replicate those too one day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 340
    Indeed! A Yamaha SA-60, apparently a ‘74 but they’re bloody hard to date with confidence, so it could be as late as ‘77.

I’ve been after one of this series for a good few years, and this one happened to turn up at the right time and price, and with all the original parts and case too - how could I resist?!

I love the shape of these, but I haven’t had my hands on one until now:

One of the things I love about this era is that each company were still doing their own thing, and not following the same recipe too closely. These earlier double-digit SAs have much more of a design identity than the later ES-like versions, and even the hardware is all pretty unique takes on what we’re (now) used to.

I’ll strip it down properly over the next day or so and give it a clean-up and fettle. These strings feel like they’re at least a few years old, and there’s a bit of sitarr-ing to deal with too but I’ll let everything settle with fresh strings and up to tension first after a proper setup before doing anything major. The pickups have a bit of poke to them - hot-PAF levels, with a decent balance between them too. They’re gritty in a good way, YMMV!

That's lovely. I've not seen one before and the slightly quirky horn shape really gives it its own identity. Consider me impressed. HNGD.  :-)