HX Stomp - switching for live use?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27103
edited March 26 in FX
Considering integrating this into my live board because HX One switching is utterly stupid. 

Those with an HX Stomp integrated into a bigger board.. how are you using it and how do you have your switching set up? 

Presets? 
Snapshots only? 
External aux and/or MIDI? 
Something else? 
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26626
    When I was playing live, my last board had the Stomp, two delays and a phaser. I ran the phaser in front of the Stomp, on the grounds that I'd only ever want it for short sections and it sounded better than the one in the Stomp.

Then I had an external two-button switch for enabling individual blocks on the Stomp (one was a volume block, one was an octaver).

The delays were in each of the loops (with a TRS breakout cable), so I could switch them in and out with the loop blocks (with trails).

I then had three snapshots on the main footswitches on the Stomp - one for rhythm, one for rhythm (plus one of the delays), and one for lead (plus the other delay). I only ever used one preset, because I could get everything I needed out of it - for cleans, I just rolled off the volume on the guitar.

That board also had a Powerstage 170 on it, so it was an all-in-one solution.
    <space for hire>
  • JMS96JMS96 Frets: 138
    I have an external foot switch for changing presents and it’s in stomp mode. I have just 3-4 presets that I use. I used to use the snapshot mode, but three was just not enough for a covers band and using different snapshots on multiple presets was too confusing. I need the visual colour references in stomp mode.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27103
    Cheers @digitalscream I had a feeling your board was the extremely neat little thing I was remembering. 

I want to use it for specific one-off sorts of tones where I might need to downtune to help the singers for 1 track, or add an octave for a specific part, or chuck some chorus or delay on for a Police song, etc etc. 

I reckon a handful of song-specific patches in snapshot mode would be a good bet, and maybe a 2-button aux to make patching up/down easy. Will have a play with it but I like the idea of snapshots meaning I might not even need loads of patches

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    I used mine in 4CM for a couple of gigs in a pretty simple setup without external footswitches. Stomp mode - afaik switch 1 toggled modulation, 2 was delay and 3 was a lead boost which engaged a slight front end boost for more gain, EQ/volume bump in the FX loop as well as delay and a bit of reverb. Look into "stompshots" as well where you just assign parameter changes to footswitches to achieve a similar thing to snapshots.
  • NickBNickB Frets: 241
    edited March 26
    I have one of these https://jetpedals.com/products/black-jet-micro?variant=44583272841403

dead simple to use as it’s already pre programmed for the Stomp

i use the Stomp for modulations, reverb and delay, 12 String effect and fuzz. I have my drives in the Stomps effects loop and use it 4 cable method into my Simplifier MKii 
    NickB said:
    I have one of these https://jetpedals.com/products/black-jet-micro?variant=44583272841403

dead simple to use as it’s already pre programmed for the Stomp

i use the Stomp for modulations, reverb and delay, 12 String effect and fuzz. I have my drives in the Stomps effects loop and use it 4 cable method into my Simplifier MKii 
    Nice that sounds like exactly the sort of thing I want to use it for. Will have a read
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    I found the Stomp a real pita to use live personally.  Too fiddly to use, and always seemed to need tweaking.   Had a mosky dual fs which helped a bit, but it didn't compare to using pedals.

It may be because I'm a dinosaur
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 639
    This is how I'm currently using mine:

4CM with the Ironheart and using the Hotone Control as extra footswitches via midi. I'm mainly using it as a stomp box at the moment with the footswitches turning on/off individual 'pedals' with in the Stomp, with one as a 'clear all' Snapshot to turn off all the FX (apart from the FX loop to the Ironheart..)

I've used the Stomp live with a Morningstar MC8 before controlling snapshots when I had very specific sounds for specific songs, but I'm going for a much simpler approach now using a few sounds to cover more things. I've also used a simple two button footswitch to add more footswitches.

I think that is what the Stomp is lacking to be honest, just a few more footswitches, even expanded with midi or an aux switch you are limited to six, but there are eight blocks... It does mean you have to get creative with snapshots/presets/switches via midi to access everything!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 172
    abw1989 said:
    This is how I'm currently using mine:

4CM with the Ironheart and using the Hotone Control as extra footswitches via midi. I'm mainly using it as a stomp box at the moment with the footswitches turning on/off individual 'pedals' with in the Stomp, with one as a 'clear all' Snapshot to turn off all the FX (apart from the FX loop to the Ironheart..)

I've used the Stomp live with a Morningstar MC8 before controlling snapshots when I had very specific sounds for specific songs, but I'm going for a much simpler approach now using a few sounds to cover more things. I've also used a simple two button footswitch to add more footswitches.

I think that is what the Stomp is lacking to be honest, just a few more footswitches, even expanded with midi or an aux switch you are limited to six, but there are eight blocks... It does mean you have to get creative with snapshots/presets/switches via midi to access everything!
    I don't understand how the white one can command more money on colour alone, but I'm exactly the kind of person that will spend it! Looks so cool. 
    @abw1989 Cheers that's helpful. I'd like to minimise external switching, so just maybe a preset up/down aux and either snapshots or stomp mode for feature effects. Alternatively I might try just using an aux for 2 extra snapshots once I've worked out what I need. 

First step would be replacing the CE2W and pitch up/down (HXOne, formerly Ricochet) that I'm currently using, then work out what other effects I need for extra material - delay, trem, maybe compression

Will have a play with it tonight 

And @Rkphilpot you're right - the white one is definitely the best :)