NJGD (New Japan Guitar Day)

What's Hot
mankytommankytom Frets: 227
I’ve done it.. currently in Tokyo, and was planning to pick up a Tokai ls 220 (56 les Paul copy) - but I’m
coming home with this instead 

Gibson R6 from 2011. One or two scrapes and a lot of checking on the neck. It spoke to me. And unbelievably in the same ball park as the Tokai. 

I also played an actual 1966 mustang, which they had for less than 2k and apart from a Refret and new nut (and obvs new bridge) was all original. 

But I got this one… and I’m
happy. 

Just got to get it home now
0reaction image LOL 20reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 775
    Dang she's a beauty! Congrats 

Not helping my I want to go guitar shopping in Japan/ goldtop/P90 GAS right now! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mankytommankytom Frets: 227
    Im already considering how I get Mrs manky to let me get two 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    I’ll be keen to learn how you got on getting this back through Customs. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I’ll let you know man. Not back for a little while. I’m flying with Ana and all indications are that I can just check as luggage 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7877
    Cool guitar!
    Are you gonna try a Bigsby on it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I don’t think so! Not sure they’re for me. I’ve got a les trem lying around which I might give a go
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1583
    That's a lovely thing. Be hard to get another one home as well..surely.. would it .. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I reckon it’s one and done. I got a look.. it said no. 

Im going to check out ikebe in ikkebukuro tomorrow. They have the explorerbird im keen on but i think it may have to wait

https://www.ikebe-gakki.com/Form/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?shop=0&pid=775085&bid=ec
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27038
    That's ace. I saw a bunch of these on my trip in Feb, plus more than one gorgeous old Mustangs as well. 

Where did you get this one?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Nico Nico. They were the best shop I went in. The guy I dealt with told me that they have loads of tourists coming in to buy guitars. They had some really special stuff in there. 59 strat.. early 60s sg custom. Didn’t have the cajaones to play them
    with the kids running around
  • ShipwreckShipwreck Frets: 60
    I'm flying out imminently  - but far too scared I'll find something I want to lug back on the journey. How do the prices compare for gear? (I appreiciated there's stuff you simply can't get anywhere else of course) 
    I saw a Dave mustaine v with a small ding on the headstock for 198000 yen. You can take the tax off that as a foreigner, which takes it to 180000. Which works out as a little over 900 quid. Gibson have these retailing at 2700. 

The explorerbird I was looking at is about 1200

Second hand Japanese fenders in the 300-700 range.  

The premium Tokai I was looking at..(laquer finish, long tenon neck joint, hide glue etc go for about 1100 new.)

lots of bargains to be had. Though a bit hit and miss. ESP stuff seems about the same price as in the uk for example. 

Also epiphone - not much cheaper than a Gibson. A few times I’ve looked at something and thought that’s a decent price for it.. only to realise it’s a 1200 epiphone. I just can’t get my head around it .

i haven’t really looked at amps/pedals/acoustics.

overall though almost  everything seems cheaper. Food is much cheaper than in the uk. We went to an amazing gyoza place last night (Mrs manky, the two medium children and I) and our meal was £50 - we can’t eat out at home for less than £100..

enjoy it man! 

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1413
    That looks like an excellent guitar - the archetypal early Les Paul. Good with or without a bigsby.

I wish I got on better with Les Pauls - I just don't play the way that suits em. I'm sure you'll rock the heck out of that one.

A very HNGD to you.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27038
    mankytom said:
    Nico Nico. They were the best shop I went in. The guy I dealt with told me that they have loads of tourists coming in to buy guitars. They had some really special stuff in there. 59 strat.. early 60s sg custom. Didn’t have the cajaones to play them with the kids running around
    Yeah that's where I got my 355 - some absolutely awesome stuff in stock and nice guys :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    GoFish said:
    That looks like an excellent guitar - the archetypal early Les Paul. Good with or without a bigsby.

I wish I got on better with Les Pauls - I just don't play the way that suits em. I'm sure you'll rock the heck out of that one.

A very HNGD to you.
    Thanks man. Sounds really nice unplugged (and through the fender hot rod in the shop) I’ll be pleased to get it home in one piece to see what I can do with it…!

I also saw this today.. 1955 les Paul.. 50k 

IMG_7614.jpeg 465.9K
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4170
    mankytom said:
    I’ve done it.. currently in Tokyo, and was planning to pick up a Tokai ls 220 (56 les Paul copy) - but I’m
    coming home with this instead 

Gibson R6 from 2011. One or two scrapes and a lot of checking on the neck. It spoke to me. And unbelievably in the same ball park as the Tokai. 

I also played an actual 1966 mustang, which they had for less than 2k and apart from a Refret and new nut (and obvs new bridge) was all original. 

But I got this one… and I’m
    happy. 

Just got to get it home now
    Ooh that’s  Flippin lovely congratulations on your new addition 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Back through Heathrow. Took it through the red zone. Ended up paying 20% of the price I paid for the privilege. Could have probably just walked through green without getting pulled but was the right thing to do.

still stands me much less than I’d have paid here
  • floeighty2floeighty2 Frets: 158
    It’s pretty much the exact guitar that I want to be ‘the one’. Congrats, looks awesome! 
    It’s pretty much the exact guitar that I want to be ‘the one’. Congrats, looks awesome! 
    Thanks man!
    Thought it also worth mentioning..

I flew with ANA. They were really helpful. They have a special area in their hold for musical instruments and other fragile items. And they didn’t charge me for using it as the total dimensions of the case were less than 200cm (height +width+ depth). Guitar looks to have come through unscathed.