Removing tight ferrules on nitro Tele

What's Hot
The ferrules on my Tele partscaster are stuck in as they were a very tight fit. The nitro finish is slightly flaking from the body around a couple of the ferrules which aren’t quite flush. Ideally I’d replace them with aged finish ones but sense I’m likely to flake off the finish more if I try to lift them out. Any recommendations on getting them out or should I leave well alone? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Should add they have the “lip” over the ferrule hole…
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72351
    Take the bridge off and tap them out from the top with a tool which fits down the body hole but not through the ferrule.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 464
    ICBM said:
    Take the bridge off and tap them out from the top with a tool which fits down the body hole but not through the ferrule.
    I’ve found that a suitable Allen key works well for this. 
    Would rotating the ferrules out be less likely to crack and lift the nitro finish than tapping them down?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    edited March 27
    A little heat from a soldering iron will help them come out cleanly.  Just be gentle with it and try to push them out from the front of the body if possible
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. Will get some narrower shaft replacements ready for weekend attempt.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    scarry67 said:
    The ferrules on my Tele partscaster are stuck in as they were a very tight fit. The nitro finish is slightly flaking from the body around a couple of the ferrules which aren’t quite flush. 
    If you just want to make the proud ferrules flush, try pressing them in using a soldering iron which will melt the lacquer.

https://manchesterguitartech.co.uk/2011/08/17/inserting-telecaster-string-ferrules-using-a-soldering-iron/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72351
    scarry67 said:
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. Will get some narrower shaft replacements ready for weekend attempt.
    I wouldn’t - you want them tight. Just make sure they can seat fully in the holes, which will be a depth issue not diameter if they go in at all. (Or a raised burr on the surface.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein