Epsom - Anyone live there?

What's Hot
TDubsTDubs Frets: 707
If so, thoughts on the place? The good? The bad? The ugly?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1451
    We considered it - it has a small and interesting high street (Everyman Cinema), but found it a little dull (for our tastes) and a bit expensive too!
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    edited March 28
    I live nearby. And grew up not far away. 

Growing up, the only time I went to Epsom was when mates lived there, as they were at the art college. It’s never particularly been a prime destination. 

Now it has Guitar Guitar.  But I wouldn’t really bother going there for any other reason. 

It will be expensive, but I’d say there’s nicer places to live, not too far away. 

Ashtead is close by, but nicer. IMO. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 359
    I'm a couple of miles away, Visit guitar guitar there semi regularly. Epsom always seems nice and is well placed being close to the surrey countryside and also close enough for commuting to London. 

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• JfingersJfingers Frets: 367
    I had my first ever McDonald's there courtesy of a mate. His dad was a photographer who once took some press shots of The Sex Pistols. He also was away and had loads of luncheon vouchers in a desk drawer.

I also grew up nearby ish and agree Ashtead is nicer. Don't even bother with Leatherhead or Sutton IMHO.
    Jfingers said:
    I had my first ever McDonald's there courtesy of a mate. His dad was a photographer who once took some press shots of The Sex Pistols. He also was away and had loads of luncheon vouchers in a desk drawer.

I also grew up nearby ish and agree Ashtead is nicer. Don't even bother with Leatherhead or Sutton IMHO.
    I live very close to Slutton and agree completely. Leatherhead is ok if you have money.  Both are over filled with pubs stuffed with racist middle aged white men complaining about 'immigrants'
    monquixote said:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 707
    WYNIR0 said:
    Both are over filled with pubs stuffed with racist middle aged white men complaining about 'immigrants'
    Sounds like i'll fit in perfectly then  :o
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    WYNIR0 said:
    Jfingers said:

I live very close to Slutton and agree completely. Leatherhead is ok if you have money.  Both are over filled with pubs stuffed with racist middle aged white men complaining about 'immigrants'
    I grew up in Morden but I went to school in Sutton in the 90s. Compared to now, it was alright(ish) then. 

It’s really gone downhill in the last decade or so. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Not far away in Esher but I worked a fair bit in Epsom.. I thought that part of the UK in general, was a great place to be. Twas the 90s tho.
  • Garold86Garold86 Frets: 123
    Yep, round the corner to the train station, so pretty much as central as possible.

It's fine for a Surrey commuter town - I find it a bit small and uninteresting, but I moved here from Greenwich. Like anywhere similar, there are good bits and not so good bits, yet all of them come with the London outskirts premium.

Feel free to DM me if you have specific questions - more than happy to answer.
    @strumjoughlamps ; but that was the and this is now. New years eve 1999 was 8854 days ago.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7010
    It’s nice enough; good commuting links into London with your choice of London Bridge, Waterloo and Victoria.  The high street is useful rather than interesting (the normal collection of Costa, Waterstones, CEX, etc) and seems to be plagued by constant roadworks and infestations of Deliveroo scooters.  One expensive cinema and, joy of joys, GuitarGuitar.

Schools are good and it’s not rough, although Friday/Saturday nights can get a bit rowdy in the town centre.  The nicer areas are up towards Epsom College, and you’re not too far from the Surrey hills for a bit of fresh air.

Obviously it’s stupidly expensive to buy or rent in Epsom, being very commutable into London and not a shithole.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    I'm also in Epsom, it's a nice part of the world, very green with some decent pubs and a half decent high street. It's the same as anywhere with some not so desirable areas but mostly good, safe and pleasant. Good links to Waterloo and Guildford by train but removed enough to have a village feel.

I'm happy here having moved out from Twickenham, hope that helps
    If you think Epsom has a village feel you must have lived in cities all your life.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 707
    Thanks for all the input guys
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Small town, large village yes, to me anyway, and yes I am a city dweller who's moved out.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    My parents used to live there. To quote from The Hitchhikers’ Guide To The Galaxy I’d describe it as ‘mostly harmless’.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    We used to live in Stoneleigh up till a couple of years back, just down the road from Epsom. Agree with most of the comments, it’s mostly ok, certainly nothing offensive about the place. Good and quick train access to London if you need it, plenty of green spaces around like The Downs and Nonsuch Park, decent shopping, the theatre puts on a good mix of stuff. It won’t be cheap of course as it’s Surrey. Definitely dont go near central Sutton, it’s a bit shit. 

Stepson and his family live in Carshalton, the Croydon side of Sutton, which has a more villagey vibe but is pretty pricey. 
    boogieman said:

Stepson and his family live in Carshalton, the Croydon side of Sutton, which has a more villagey vibe but is pretty pricey. 
    I'm in Carshalton don'tcya know. Wot Wot, better class of people round here.  I do like it here I have to say .
    monquixote said:

• blacknblackblacknblack Frets: 42
    The Barley Mow in Epsom used to be a great boozer.  Same for the Ladas on the other side of town.  And the Rising Sun was a top under age drinking establishment about 35 years ago!