What are these old GEC valves worth?

What's Hot
kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 183
Got these old GEC valves, KT66. Any idea what they are worth realistically. And how do I know if they are a matched pair?
Seen these ones on Ebay for what is surely a daft price no? Thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404845354195?itmmeta=01HT2PEMKS260TR8RBK6KQVV24&hash=item5e42a9dcd3:g:oTcAAOSwYsll6bEG

Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4180
    Hell's teeth, that's a price!

I imagine you'd need a valve tester (or an amp to put them in) to check how they match.

There are far more knowledgeable than me here though, so hang tight :)
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3171
    tFB Trader
    Used, fully tested (both emissions and microphony) these usually sell for £50-£70 for a single and £140-£180 for a matched pair. Matched Quads would be around £350ish.

If they're genuinely NOS (never been used, except in test equipment) then I know who a few Audophiles who'd pay that money for them. Of course, how does the seller prove that they're actually NOS?
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    Hardly ever found in guitar amps^, the KT66 was a 'hi fi' valve and the amps that used them usually had means to DC balance them (or used with two cathode resistors so no need) The exception was the Quad ll power amp which was 'self balancing'.

That said, there is no reason NOT to put them in a gitamp where they will deliver EL34 sort of power.

Their big brother, the KT88 is a heck of a lot of dosh now.

* But I used to get 12 month old ones from the general hospital so I built my bass amp with a pair!

Dave.
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 183
    Great thanks chaps. I'll stick them on Ebay at a starting price of £100 or so and see what happens. 
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    kelpbeds said:
    Great thanks chaps. I'll stick them on Ebay at a starting price of £100 or so and see what happens. 
    You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to use this as an excuse to buy an amp that uses KT66s!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    ecc83 said:
    Hardly ever found in guitar amps
    Apart from some of the most desirable of all amps, some of the earliest Marshall JTM45s. That's why they're so sought-after by guitarists.

Of course Marshall used them because they were easily available and cheap, at the time. Pretty much everything in those amps was military surplus or out of the Radiospares catalogue.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11599
    tFB Trader
    The price clearly says that they are 17 shillings and sixpence each ....lol

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 28
    Dave_Mc said:
    kelpbeds said:
    You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to use this as an excuse to buy an amp that uses KT66s!
    Haha! I just sold one!

Damn it, busted!

ICBM said:
    ecc83 said:
    Apart from some of the most desirable of all amps, some of the earliest Marshall JTM45s. That's why they're so sought-after by guitarists.

Of course Marshall used them because they were easily available and cheap, at the time. Pretty much everything in those amps was military surplus or out of the Radiospares catalogue.
    I had them in a JTM 45. (not original)
  • randellarandella Frets: 4180
    edited March 28
    lol that'd be alright, wouldn't it? 85p plus whatever sixpence works out to.

Bit better than the 60-odd quid I just forked out for a pair of 6L6s, JJs at that. 
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    I'm running TAD KT66 valves in my Bluesbreaker. They're about £40 each.
  • ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 427
    I had a pair of KT66s in my SV20 and it sounded bloody lovely! 

Good luck with the sale, hope you get a good packet for them. Nice find 
    I had a pair of KT66s in my SV20 and it sounded bloody lovely! 

Good luck with the sale, hope you get a good packet for them. Nice find 
    Thanks!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26630
    Never look at the asking prices for stuff like this. Instead, look at the sold listings:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=gec+kt66&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Generally, they seem to go for £60-75. That's still pretty extortionate in my eyes, but far more reasonable.

For what it's worth, I put a pair of Golden Lion KT66s in my Jet City JCA50H and they sounded heavenly...for a while. Then one of them developed a short, which was enough to persuade a resistor on the board to give up its magic smoke.
    <space for hire>
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    ICBM said:
    ecc83 said:

Bound to one ! Regarding 'surplus' kit? My mate was a TV tech (and our drummer) and the firm he worked for had the contract for servicing the county's hospital headphone amplifiers. Pamphonics IIRC and each had 4 KT66s in them plus pre amp valves. Back then the NHS was dripping with money so they insisted on a complete valve change every 12 months or so (the amps DID run 24/7) Naturally that meant sheds of perfectly good bottles for yours truly to play with!

In contrast the WMClubs in the area often had a 50W "Wimbledon" in a cupboard, used many times a week for Bingo and other 'turns'. They would run two decades without even being looked at!

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    kelpbeds said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    kelpbeds said:
    Haha! I just sold one!
    LOL