The pressure put on you to 'improve' your guitar playing

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stufisherstufisher Frets: 851
    Totally agree with @Tannin.

Also, I get enjoyment from learning about different guitars, different sounds, different genres of music, different techniques but it's all a mish-mash and I do most learning on a whim and not because of YT vids.

Given my recent struggles with Golfer's elbow I'm thankful just to be playing for even 20 mins every few days :-1: I'm too old to care about lofty aspirations ... they've all been replaced by 'thankful for small mercies'.

This thread is reassuring though ... I wasn't expecting to read so many like-minded responses.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5500
    ^ Agreeing with me always earns a wiz. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    That gets a lol
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1797
    The competitive approach might appeal to young bucks and sell courses but it means little in the real world.
    You can be the most technically competent player in the world  and boring as hell. Then the only people who appreciate you are the other guitar players in the room. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 135
    Slightly different angle here…, what strikes me about YouTube and instagram etc is that the guitar is presented as a kind of sport, in which people do impressive things, shred, noodle, solo. What virtually all of these great players lack is music…they’re making videos of themselves playing but who’s making music? When I was a kid, you formed a band, rehearsed in garages, played at clubs and pubs. Most of these young players who supposedly have a wealth of experience do not, and throw them into a real musical situation and all the shredding in the world means nothing without the ability to make culturally meaningful music. Where is the great music from this generation?
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1128
    I'd rather improve my songwriting than guitar playing. Much more satisfying coming up with an original composition with a nice hook and simple chords than doing sweep picking or widdly widdly tapping
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    The only pressure that is put on me is from myself to improve...I love playing and learning new things it's become like one big puzzle for me that I want to solve plus I really love trying to do it