Pink Korina LP Build

What's Hot
It's been a while since I finished my last build, a white LP custom.

I've started planning the next build. It will be a slow burner as I have a lot of home projects that need doing over the summer.

The plan is a broadly:
- a 54 Les Paul, but...
- White limba / korina body and neck
- Fully chambered with the top carved internally
- Firebird pickups in mini humbucker rings (P90 route)
- Wraptail or tunomatic with Bigsby
- Yellowed shell pink top, natural back

A lot of the build will be similar to my other builds so I won't go crazy with details but will post progress pics.

Inspo for this were the Bartlett explorer and a pink LP I played at the weekend at the Gibson Garage in London. The LP was 9 grand and the relicing was not great.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• davrosdavros Frets: 1332
    Timber has arrived from Guitars and Woods. White limba body blank and neck blank, plain maple top and rosewood slotted fingerboard.

The body blank is a reasonable weight, but the neck black is suuuper light. It's only a 40mm depth blank, so I had them cut a scarf joint to get a 17 degree back angle.

I did wonder whether the neck was a different species. The grain looks a bit different with wide rings on the neck, but from the side it's quite similar. I was just quite shocked by the weight, and it sounds like a xylophone when knocked. I haven't seen any other limba to know for sure - any timber experts that would know?

Pictures of top and side of the neck vs body below, neck on the right. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4138
    Yep, that’s still limba on the neck - the wider-grain pieces crop up fairly regularly depending on the cut etc.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3210
    And following. Having been lucky enough to spend a couple of minutes with one of your other builds when I picked up the ac30, this looks to be a belter.