Mustang with humbuckers?

What's Hot
spir4Lspir4L Frets: 87
I went to a gig yesterday and I was quite surprised to see one of the guitarists play with a quite oldish Mustang with humbucker pickups. Is there such a thing as a mustang with humbuckers?
Or was it just a heavily modified guitar?

Doing some googling I can only find a Pawn Shop model made during the 2010s, but that's not what I have seen!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 189
    Would be modded. One of the coolest guitars I’ve ever come across was a 60s mustang with Firebird pickups  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spir4Lspir4L Frets: 87
    edited March 29
     Revolutions said:
    Would be modded. One of the coolest guitars I’ve ever come across was a 60s mustang with Firebird pickups 
    Spent the whole morning googling  and this one for example is modded but such a beaut:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186119313788

I am sure it would fit Firebirds quite nicely
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14456
    edited March 29
    The only production model with humbuckers is the Squier Bullet Mustang HH (now probably renamed for the Sonic series).

The Fender MIM Mustang 90 could be altered by installing P90-sized humbuckers. (DiMarzio, Oil City et cetera.)

It is possible to alter a regular Mustang using Duncan Rails or DiMarzio Track pickups. The standard cavity layout will require any pickup with a flanged lower bobbin plate to be mounted with the flange facing towards the neck. Here, DiMarzios have the advantage of removable plastic covers. (Got to have the printed logo facing the right way around!)

Firebird, mini- and full sized humbuckers would require wood removal to accommodate them.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • spir4L said:
    I went to a gig yesterday and I was quite surprised to see one of the guitarists play with a quite oldish Mustang with humbucker pickups. Is there such a thing as a mustang with humbuckers?

Doing some googling I can only find a Pawn Shop model made during the 2010s, but that's not what I have seen!
    Is it possible it could have been an old 90s Cyclone. Mustang body size, humbuckers but a Strat trem. The fella in DIIV plays one
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    The famous Squier Bullet Mustang has humbuckers?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 630
    The American Special Mustang was HH, too, but that’s recent. (Probably ten years ago now.)
    When I said humbuckers I meant something like the wide range humbuckers in the 72 telecasters, so with the metal covers, like in this picture of the Pawn shop, that tho it's not a real mustang as the bridge is not exactly right

2011 Fender Pawn Shop Mustang Special Electric Guitar Olympic White Japan MIJ image 1

spir4L said:

Is it possible it could have been an old 90s Cyclone. Mustang body size, humbuckers but a Strat trem. The fella in DIIV plays one
    I love DIIV, this is the guitar you mention I guess

This should be the MIM Mustang 90 mentioned by @Funkfingers ;
    Fender Player Mustang 90 Electric Guitar Burgundy Mist Metallic MIM Mexico - Picture 2 of 23
    It looks pretty cool in burgundy mist :)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    The Duo Sonic HS is similar, always thought they looked cool. 
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1004
    i wish that fender would bring back the pawn shop mustang special as i have always wanted one. 
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • spir4L said:
    When I said humbuckers I meant something like the wide range humbuckers in the 72 telecasters, so with the metal covers, like in this picture of the Pawn shop, that tho it's not a real mustang as the bridge is not exactly right

2011 Fender Pawn Shop Mustang Special Electric Guitar Olympic White Japan MIJ image 1

spir4L said:

I love DIIV, this is the guitar you mention I guess

That’s the chap. I’ll keep this brief as this isn’t a thread about DIIV, but that instrument has been through the wars with them for years.