Dove headstocks

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 5453
Speaking of Gibson Doves (as I was in another thread) are the headstocks mega-fragile like (e.g.) Les Pauls? Or are they actually reasonably robust?

Bonus question: do Gibson ever make them without the stains? I like natural timbers, and no timber is more beautiful an a nice bit of maple. Every time I see one it's been stained red. Do we get a choice?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    Tannin said:
    Speaking of Gibson Doves (as I was in another thread) are the headstocks mega-fragile like (e.g.) Les Pauls? Or are they actually reasonably robust?
    Much more robust if it has the historically correct laminated maple neck - I think Gibson have done some versions with mahogany though, which will be fragile.

Mine is maple, which is why I have no fear of taking it out to play :).

Tannin said:

Bonus question: do Gibson ever make them without the stains? I like natural timbers, and no timber is more beautiful an a nice bit of maple. Every time I see one it's been stained red. Do we get a choice?
    I've only ever seen them in natural top or sunburst, both of which have the red back, or the 'black Dove' in (obviously) all black.

I don't think it's stain though, it's a transparent colour finish, so you could probably have it stripped and refinished to natural if you wanted.

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the red, but it's such a great guitar that I can live with it. My (stupidly sold) CJ-165 was natural maple back and neck, which was really very pretty.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27027
    I don't recall ever seeing a Dove without the laminate maple neck so they should be very tough despite being bigger than the standard LP headstock. 

I loved the sound of my old natural & red one - I really really want a black one some day.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1110
    If your heart is set on a natural maple back and sides, the Epiphone USA Frontier looks pretty special.