Fret crowning file for DIYer?

What's Hot
lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
edited March 30 in Making & Modding

Comments

• Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    I use a Crimson guitars crowning file.
    Noticed they have a sale on at the moment..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    This one @Fingers657 ;

Looks like fret file rather than a crowning file...

https://www.gluedtomusic.com/products/125/hosco-double-edged-fret-crowning-file-medium/

• RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Mine is from Chris Alsop. I like it for the handle shape. Chris sells a package consisting of fret file, fretboard protector, and polishing abrasives for £28.
    https://www.chrisalsopguitar.co.uk/shop/guitar-tools/fret-crowning-and-dressing/Diamond-Guitar-Fret-Crowning-File-with-Oak-Handle-TF085
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    This one @Fingers657 ;

Looks like fret file rather than a crowning file...

https://www.gluedtomusic.com/products/125/hosco-double-edged-fret-crowning-file-medium/

The Hosco has a concave edge for crowning.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6877
    Roland said:
    Mine is from Chris Alsop. I like it for the handle shape. Chris sells a package consisting of fret file, fretboard protector, and polishing abrasives for £28.
    https://www.chrisalsopguitar.co.uk/shop/guitar-tools/fret-crowning-and-dressing/Diamond-Guitar-Fret-Crowning-File-with-Oak-Handle-TF085
    I use the same one - it’s very easy to use.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Yeah that's what I was trying to say. The concave file. I think you need to be a bit more skilled to use the crimson file maybe?
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7276
    I used similar ones of reasonable quality for quite a number of years and had perfectly acceptable results.  I bought the Hosco ones 2 years ago (oddly my review as William D says I reviewed them 7 months ago), and realised how much better they were than the rougher "chattery" ones I had been using.  I got noticeably better results more easily and with less polishing.  My review says what I meant, however shortly after I bought them I ended up buying some Chris Alsop diamond fret files through the classifieds here and I tend to use them much more than the Hosco ones.  I prefer diamond crowning files because they are easier and smoother to file in both directions and tend to give a finer finish.

The most important aspect is choosing the right size for the job for the width of fret wire so that the concave fits over the fret and files away the "corners" or "shoulders" left after levelling the frets, but without taking anything off the top of the fret.  That can be trial and error because the height of the frets can also come into play.

You will see that Glued to Music have the TL-FF2 designed for use on 2mm (medium) fretwire and the TL-FF3 designed for 3mm (jumbo) fretwire.  I bought both because I really wasn't sure which to use on say 2.4 and 2.7mm wide frets.  That's the hit and miss part and it pays to start on a relatively unplayed fret right up the top (using the marker pen to monitor what it's taking off).  If you use the "medium" one and it's too small for the fretwire width, especially on taller frets, you can end up with something like the area I've marked:

Yes, I shamelessly stretched a photo of a rocket ice lolly because I don't have a decent drwing prog on my PC.  That's an exaggeration of course.  It's that lip I'm drawing your attention to.  Conversely I actually use the "jumbo" one somertimes to spot level a troublesome fret all the way across because the apex of the concave curve of the file sits on top of the fret and starts taking off material after it files away the shoulders.  Ideally they would have a "standard" 2.5mm sized one, but they don't.  In my opinion that would be the most universal size for modern electric guitars.  From my experience the ideal size is the one that's slightly smaller than the width of the fret.

Both of the useful sized Hosco crowning files (ignore the smallest TL-FF1) have a concave that's marginally over 0.5mm.  That should mean that you will never touch the fretboard with the file edges unless the fretwire is already quite shallow.

These crowning files look as though they are very much like the Hosco ones, only cheaper:

As I mentioned I prefer diamond files now.  They work better on stainless steel frets and are smoother to use.  I have the 2mm diamond like like THIS and the 2.5mm one like THIS from Chris Alsop for £28.60 each and they have done quite a few fret jobs without showing any signs of wear.  I find them comfortable to hold and much easier to do frets up over the body and around the heel.  He has others that have replaceable blades:
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2498
    Stewmac Z file 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7037
    tFB Trader
    I've got these that are surplus to requirements, still loads of life in them if you're interested?
    https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-fretting/double-edge-fret-file
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    I forgot to mention I also use Chris Alsop’s excellent tools and really love the way they are crafted to fit ones hands for ease of use and don’t break the bank on price.
    This is what was included free in the box with my order for his fret crowning file a few years ago.
    https://ibb.co/PjHYMdG
    Some excellent instructions on how to use also included.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9641
    edited March 31
    Yeah that's what I was trying to say. The concave file. I think you need to be a bit more skilled to use the crimson file maybe?
    I bought both, although the concave file came from somewhere else (can’t remember where). The skills are easy to acquire, and a triangular file gives you more control over the final shape.

<edit> looks like I got the concave file from Tonetech.
    Using an ordinary equilateral triangular file can be quite hard work, especially a thinner one, but some of the larger purpose made triangular ones with a much wider "base" and a safe edge make it somewhat easier to file and move up towards the top.  You have more control.
    I've gone for the stewmac files from Steve, so we'll see how this goes :)
    Good choice, and I'm glad he had spare ones.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7037
    tFB Trader
    BillDL said:
    Good choice, and I'm glad he had spare ones.
    They're all spare now!
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    FWIW I've loved using the Hosco files, medium and large have fitted all my needs, maybe 20 full fret jobs each and still sharp.
    A good stiff wire brush to clean out the filings from the files' teeth is essential imo.