New vintage bass day

What's Hot
StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
I desperately needed to declutter the studio, so gathered up a carful of stuff I never use and took it to Knight Music in Scarborough, which is rapidly becoming my favourite music shop. Traded it all for a beautiful vintage mic stand and this:

As far as I can tell, it's a Hofner 185 Artist from the early 60s. It's in amazing condition all things considered -- no rips in the vinyl, original logo intact and the colour isn't faded at all. I love the fretboard inlays, too.
Body.jpg 828K
Headstock.jpg 926.9K
Behind.jpg 954.3K
Hofner.jpg 875.2K
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1413
    Very, very nice! Can we have a picture of the mic stand too?

HNVBD!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Ha, glad I'm not the only one who gets excited about mic stands. Just for you:

There's no maker's name or badge that I can see, any ideas?
    mic_stand.jpg 994.7K
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6066
    edited March 30
    Fabulous basses, what a great score. The search for my perfect bass ended when I picked up one of these four years ago. The neck size and shape, with the narrow string spacing, makes it so easy to play. Yours is extremely similar to mine, which is a 1962, though your example has a serial number at top of headstock which indicates, I believe, a Selmer import.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Separated at birth! Wow, yours is in fabulous nick too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1413
    No idea on the mic stand, but it's a bit of a looker.

The twin red bases are just great. What an Easter treat.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    Stuckfast said:
    Separated at birth! Wow, yours is in fabulous nick too.
    I notice that yours lacks a string tree on the headstock. So did mine when I got it and I thought that it must have been an oversight at the workshop but seeing yours is the same, I presume it must have been designed that way in '62. I installed one after a few months as I was getting vibration noise from the G string beyond the nut.
    Is it just black paint on the headstock, or is there a fitted piece of plastic? I'd be a bit reluctant to drill into it.
    Stuckfast said:
    Is it just black paint on the headstock, or is there a fitted piece of plastic? I'd be a bit reluctant to drill into it.
    I think it is a lacquer finish. I had to install a tree as the noise created beyond the nut was quite intrusive. I was nervous doing it but used a very small drill bit to make a hole for the screw and it all went fine...