Wolfie and Slash tonoght

What's Hot
dariusdarius Frets: 632
Wolfie VH supporting Slash at Birmingham. 
More guitar based excitement after Gilbert and Sheehan last week. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dariusdarius Frets: 632
    Well that was a bit meh. (A lot like this thread!)

Mammoth were great. We could have done with 30mins more of Wolfie and 30mins less of Slash. 

Slash and Myles played a lot of the latest album, fair enough, but it’s not a killer album. I didn’t recognise many songs. They didn’t play any GnR at all. Instead Lenny Kravitz and Elton fuckin John. And Slash’s solos were too long. There I admit it. I can’t believe I’m saying that. 

And the audience were dead. An entire NEC arena the quietest and most stationary I’ve ever seen it. It doesn’t help that Myles is like the most polite front man in rock. Great voice but zero presence. At one point we were told to show him our lovely pets on our phones. Erm.

I am sad.  
    3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6493
    Mate of mine went, said a similar thing: WVH was too short, Slash’s songs are pretty dull.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    I could have gone to the Resorts World one on unsold tickets but I wouldn’t know any of the songs apart from GnR and I can’t stand Myle’s voice. Would have been interesting to see Mammof I guess, although it annoys me that they’ve stolen the name…

https://youtu.be/DLFZkg8w0y8?si=psywHuOf7z99Qy0s
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6832
    I did think that he’d be dropping GnR songs now that Guns are back together and touring regularly, so he’s separating his own stuff from theirs
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 31
    I could have gone to the Resorts World one on unsold tickets but I wouldn’t know any of the songs apart from GnR and I can’t stand Myle’s voice.
    This.
    He seems like a lovely chap, and I would happily spend an afternoon chatting guitars with him over a cuppa, but, please, don’t let him sing at me. It’s like someone said, “Nobody could sing in a more affected way than Axl Rose…” and Myles had one of those internet meme ‘Hold my beer’ moments.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I could have gone to the Resorts World one on unsold tickets but I wouldn’t know any of the songs apart from GnR and I can’t stand Myle’s voice.
    This.
    He seems like a lovely chap, and I would happily spend an afternoon chatting guitars with him over a cuppa, but, please, don’t let him sing at me. It’s like someone said, “Nobody could sing in a more affected way than Axl Rose…” and Myles had one of those internet meme ‘Hold my beer’ moments.
    To be fair I don’t know his work well at all but Made in Stoke came up on SkyArts and it was painful so I’ve held it against him since. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10226
    edited March 31
    You lost me at 'Elton Fucking John'. What's with the disrespect?

The guy's legitimately a fantastic songwriter and rock & roll icon for good reason, and I like both Mammoth and GnR. Alter Bridge not so much. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6832

The guy's legitimately a fantastic songwriter and rock & roll icon for good reason, and I like both Mammoth and GnR. Alter Bridge not so much. 
    He wrote Candle in the wind………
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

from the fact I can’t stand Elton John’s music. 

They played Rocket Man. 
    They used to play Rocket Queen. 
    Maybe someone made a typo on the setlist. Like Benson and Hedges playing for England. 

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    This.

Both of those singers have me reaching for the "off" switch.
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    darius said:
    They didn’t play any GnR at all. Instead Lenny Kravitz and Elton fuckin John.
    They played Bad Apples, from Use Your Illusion. Not all GnR songs are on Appetite For Destruction ;)

And Always On The Run is a Kravitz song that Slash wrote so I reckon it's fair game for him to play at his show...
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1110
    Slash is the reason I play guitar.

But Myles's voice goes through me like Captain Quint's nails on the Amity Island community centre blackboard.

I also get fed up with long guitar solos these days. It's just so boring and predictable, and also a bit cringey and very dated. Time and music have moved on. I get vicariously embarrassed when I see someone trapped in the pre-grunge era widdling away to a room full of middle aged white men wearing band t shirts tucked into stone washed jeans atop white running shoes.

I've seen G n' R twice since their comeback. I loved the shows. But they're a stand-out phenomenon who crossed over into mainstream consciousness a long time ago. I don't, for some reason, cringe when I see them.

Of Slash's projects since G n' R broke up, his band with Myles is the most boring, perfunctory attempt at doing a "day job" I've ever seen. I never got to see VR, but liked their records. For me, Snakepit were the top of tree. Eric Dover was (is?) a brilliant singer, and the songs are brilliant. I don't know if Slash had loads of stuff left over he intended to use for G n' R or he channeled his hatred for Axl into emotional and creative energy, but those signs still manage to make a real connection with me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    abw1989 said:
    darius said:
    They played Bad Apples, from Use Your Illusion. Not all GnR songs are on Appetite For Destruction ;)

And Always On The Run is a Kravitz song that Slash wrote so I reckon it's fair game for him to play at his show...
    Literally no-one who was hoping for GnR songs will have gone home happy because they heard Bad Apples.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    abw1989 said:
    darius said:

You’re right about Bad Apples. Proves my point, a song so meh I forgot they played it!

Surely give the people what they want, do Paradise City if you can’t stand playing Sweet Child for the zillionbillionth time. 

• Massive Slash fan as I’m sure I’ve rattled on about many times lol. 

The last time Slash wrote and recorded anything decent was the Snakepit era. Both albums are outstanding, I prefer Ain’t life grand and prefer Rod on vocals. 

These days he’s lost all emotion and feeling in his playing. Every solo is a shred fest of lighting fast  sloppy scale runs over and over again. I know players playing styles change over time but it’s an absolute mess now. 

The Slash and MK material is boring as hell and Myles voice is like a nail on chalkboard after a few songs and he’s a boring frontman. 

What I dislike the most is that Myles was involved too much with the writing process. Early on he was just writing the lyrics and vocal melodies. 

There was a massive shift and you could clearly hear his huge influence in the songs structure wise etc. A style that is straight out of the Alter Bridge playbook and sounds nothing  like anything slash would ever play or come up with on his own. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    I could have gone to the Resorts World one on unsold tickets but I wouldn’t know any of the songs apart from GnR and I can’t stand Myle’s voice. Would have been interesting to see Mammof I guess, although it annoys me that they’ve stolen the name…

They haven't - 
    Mammoth WVH is an American rock band formed and fronted by Wolfgang Van Halen. The band name is a reference to both Wolfgang's initials and Mammoth, an earlier band that featured his father Eddie and uncle Alex prior to forming Van Halen.
    Kebabkid said:

They haven't - 
    Mammoth WVH is an American rock band formed and fronted by Wolfgang Van Halen. The band name is a reference to both Wolfgang's initials and Mammoth, an earlier band that featured his father Eddie and uncle Alex prior to forming Van Halen.
    I didn't really think they had. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    What’s wrong with ‘Candle in the wind’. It must be a decent royalties earner...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    Poor old Slash, he seems to be taking over from Bonamassa in T' Fretboard opinionated hate stakes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24294

I remember them!

They were pretty good.