Strings (No, not another one!)

What's Hot
AmigoAmigo Frets: 120
edited March 30 in Acoustics
I have a Sigma SOMR-28H, OM style, all solid, sitka top, East Indian Rosewood back and sides. When I got it, it has 80/20 Bronze Mediums (13s), which were a) a pain to play, and b) the guitar felt muted. So I promptly put my favourite strings, D'Addario XT Phosphor Bronze 12s. Some improvement, but I noticed that the lowest 3-ish strings sound very spongy and the strings felt much stiffer and harder to fret than on my other guitars I had them on, and I had them on long scale guitars. The perception was bad enough to make me try another set I had lying around, a Newtone Masterclass 12-52 Phosphor Bronze. That was a significant improvement in the playability, and the strings sound much better, but there is still a sponginess to the lowest 2 strings. Not as bad as the D'Addarios, but still noticeable. 

What strings do you use on your sitka/rosewood OMs, or what should I try next to get rid of the sponginess and to maintain the playability of the Newtones?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    I’d look at the nut and nut slots before changing any more strings, it doesn’t sound like they are the problem?  Feasibly it might be bracing in those areas but I’d start testing the easy ones first 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AmigoAmigo Frets: 120
    After I got the guitar I had it set up by Keith at Imperial Guitars, and he's well regarded, but might be an avenue, thanks for that.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5463
    I'm struggling to understand what a "spongy" sound is (using words to describe sounds is like using a violin to make technical drawings) but if I have the right idea, then we want something with more body and crispness to the bass strings than the D'Addaios or the Newtones.

This should be easy. Darco is an obvious choice (or Martin Authentics, which is the same string in a different packet). Rotosound Jumbo Kings or SIT Royal Bronze would do equally well. These all fit into the midrange of stiffness and playability for the left hand, and although they have a more pleasant feel (in my opinion) than the D'Addarios, you may find them no easier to play. 

Can we do anything to get a softer feel without ending up with a "spongy" sound? Probably yes: DR Sunbeams come immediately to mind. They are probably your best bet. 

• GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
    Tannin said:
    Can we do anything to get a softer feel without ending up with a "spongy" sound? Probably yes: DR Sunbeams come immediately to mind. They are probably your best bet. 

A second vote for DR Sunbeams, made a world of difference to my GS Mini in both sound and playability. I did end up going super light with a set of 11-50's but seems to suit the guitar far better than the scaffold poles that were on it when it arrived.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • AmigoAmigo Frets: 120
    Thanks for the suggestions. As it so happens that I had bought a set of Rotosound Jumbo Kings 11s a couple of weks ago with a view to try them, and @Tannin suggested the same, I will try those afterwards. I also ordered a set of DR Sunbeam, to see/hear what the praise is all about :) When I am bored of the Newtones I will come back with impressions.
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 205
    Do people find Rotosound Jumbo Kings to be OK? I bought a three pack last year and they were duller than the three month old strings I had just taken off, and unbearably dead within a couple of hours playing. Though I haven't entirely ruled out that they were poorly stored old stock or counterfeit.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5463
    Old stock sounds like the explanation @MartinB. I shouldn't imagine Rotosound would be top of the counterfeiters' hit list (except for their famous bass strings). My guess is that they mostly target Elixir, D'Addario, and Ball - though it wouldn't do to put stuff past them. 

It's been a long time since I used a set of Jumbo Kings - mid 2019 in fact - but they were fine, and since then I have happily used their Super Bronze contact core and their excellent Nexus set (essentially coated Jumbo Kings). I have another set of Jumbo Kings here in my string stash to try on a different guitar when I get around to it.