Can a re-fret effect feel of radius?

What's Hot
I've a Fender Am Pro ii Strat - its all stock so has narrow tall frets and 9.5" radius. I think I prefer the feel of a flatter radius. I was wondering if a re-fret can be done in such a way to slightly flatten off the radius, or at least make it feel that way? I was thinking of going to jumbo frets.

thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6497
    I’m no luthier, but having all the frets out of the guitar seems like the perfect opportunity to re-radius the fingerboard. I’ve seen it done in several videos.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Yes is the simple answer, it is more involved if it is a maple board as it would need to be re lacquered
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2496
    You’d have to be fitting 1/2” tall frets to increase the radius by an inch. Your need one hell of a shim to get that playing like butter, wiser to reprofile the neck once the frets are off
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16687
    elstoof said:
    You’d have to be fitting 1/2” tall frets to increase the radius by an inch. Your need one hell of a shim to get that playing like butter, wiser to reprofile the neck once the frets are off
    You'd need 1" tall frets for that ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 31
    No, adding half inch would be on both sides of the circle, a 1” wider radius is 1/2” bigger on either “side” of the circle 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16687
    elstoof said:
    No, adding half inch would be on both sides of the circle, a 1” wider radius is 1/2” bigger on either “side” of the circle 
    That's Diameter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Yes you can
    If it's a rosewood board it can be done fairly easily - maple will require oil finishing or re-lacquering

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

WezV said:
    elstoof said:
    That's Diameter
    That’s quite correct
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076

as stated yes can do if you have the fret meat to get into, id guess a plex might be the best/accurate method

btw the diff in radius over 56mm section between 9.5" and 20"  is just 0.860mm, he\s a pic of 9.5" to 20" ontop of each other

• TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    In theory, yes. By putting tall frets on, you could reprofile the top of the frets to a flatter radius. This would mean removing slightly more material from the centre of the frets. The pic above from @Gizmo sums it up nicely. 

Having said that, if the old frets are being removed it makes more sense to change the radius of the fretboard itself.