Import duties

What's Hot
SteppedOutSteppedOut Frets: 36
I'm considering buying a pedal from Hungary as I can't find a used one anywhere in the UK and the maker doesn't have any dealers.

I'm struggling to work out how much import duty I will have to pay. 

The item is 222. 31 and the postage is 22.32

So how much import duty will I get hit with?

Also Fcuk Brexit
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28435
    Generally reckon on 25% on top of the item and shipping to include VAT, duty, and fees.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    I am lucky, ifn it was me I would send the money to my son in France, he buys the item then posts it over to me...or he has a mate visit a few times a year he can carry it.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3661
    Import from the EU, you should not pay VAT in Hungary but you will have to pay it in the UK.

Some of the large retailers, such as Thomann in Germany, are set up so that they handle all of the VAT and you don't pay any additional charges.  A smaller retailer may not be set up to do this so, if they are willing to ship to the UK (which they may not do as it's too much hassle), and so somebody else (the courier) is going to have to do this and they will charge for their services.

Does the 222.31 include VAT?  If not you are going to have to pay UK VAT plus handling fee and 25% is a good rule of thumb as Sporky suggests.  If it does include VAT at Hungarian rate (27%) then this should be reclaimed and the UK VAT (20% paid).

Note, if the price is ex VAT then you are looking at approx 25% on top of the whole amount inc postage, so (222.31 + 22.32) x 25% = 61.16 on top of the purchase price and postage = approx 305.79 in total.
  • SteppedOutSteppedOut Frets: 36
    That's good info thanks for the replies.

This info might be useful in a faq somewhere. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5433
    edited March 31
    If the pedal is under £135 they are meant to charge VAT at source and it should come in with no extra fees. Yours being higher it will be on import and 25% is a good guess as mentioned - you might have a few quid leftover from that for a half at your local. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9571
    Sporky said:
    Generally reckon on 25% on top of the item and shipping to include VAT, duty, and fees.
    This
    Musicwolf said:
    If it does include VAT at Hungarian rate (27%) then this should be reclaimed and the UK VAT (20% paid).

True, but good luck with that!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9656
    I bought something from an ebay shop in Hungary recently, before buying I checked what I'd be paying by looking here. It was pretty accurate.
  • SteppedOutSteppedOut Frets: 36
    I bought something from an ebay shop in Hungary recently, before buying I checked what I'd be paying by looking here. It was pretty accurate.
    Did it differ much from the info posted here? 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9656
    You’d have to check the specific category for guitar pedals, what I bought was nothing to do with guitars.
    There are also online calculators such as https://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/

...but they can't tell you what the courier will charge you for doing the paperwork and paying the fees upfront. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom