Help! I need some serious gear advice!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Fiddlesticks_Fiddlesticks_ Frets: 273
    edited April 4
    ICBM said:
    AC10C1 or/and '65 Princeton Reverb. 
    This is what I’d recommend too. I own a ‘65 Princeton RI and have owned an AC10C1 and an AC15C1. The 10 is way lighter than the 15 so with weight being a consideration I’d go for the 10 out of them two. Also the venerable ICBM has said that the AC10C1 sounds closer to an AC30 and I wouldn’t be inclined to argue (though I did personally prefer the sound of my AC15, that was entirely personal preference and didn’t really consider how it compares to a 30).

I much prefer the Princeton to both though, it’s really nice - but I can’t really articulate why. I also found it easier to approximate a Vox sound using pedals with the Princeton than vice-versa. The Princeton is a lot more expensive, though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    Blackstar Studio 10 6L6 gives a good clean Fender-y sound and easily loud enough for churchy-type gigs. Probably wouldn’t cut it with a Neanderthal drummer but that doesn’t sound like an issue for what you want.

I stupidly sold mine but will almost certainly buy another at some point.

ICBM’s suggestion of an AC10 is a good shout. I know someone who uses one for small pub gigs (50-ish people) and it always sounds great (and epic with a Les Paul).

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Fiddlesticks_Fiddlesticks_ Frets: 273
    HAL9000 said:
    Probably wouldn’t cut it with a Neanderthal drummer
    Is that not all of them?  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4226
    edited April 4
    You like Fender cleans and Vox-y tones, don't like fiddling with menus and patches, play at home or in quieter settings,  but weight is a clear consideration.....this sounds like a Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb with a pedal in front for the Vox tones.

Only two bits of kit, benefits of light weight, and total control of loudness. You say that you've had a Tonemaster....was that an amp or the TM Pro floor modeller? If amp, what about it didn;t work for you?
  • ricky50ricky50 Frets: 159
    edited April 4
    If your criteria include Vox and Fender, a valve amp, to cover home and away and needs to be light then you'll be very happy with a Mesa TA-15.  These were discontinued in 2016 and often appear on eBay/Reverb at crazy inflated prices but there's one on now at a not too daft price. There's a TA 30 that does the same thing, is louder and has reverb and a loop but is much bigger and heavier and sort of defeats the purpose.  The 15 weighs under 6kg and is the way to go.  5w 15w and 25w switchable and 5 voices including a great top boost Vox with a cut and a Fender tweed which you can footswitch between. I had one many years ago and stupidly sold it and got another about a year ago and am amazed at how well it stands up to some spectacular amps I've owned.  It's very good through a Bluguitar Nanocab which gives you a super light package and can be whatever you want through bigger (and heavier) cabs.
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
    Thanks for the advice - really appreciate it.
    I had a cream Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb - parted it for a HW Vox AC15. I am fickle and rash with amps - one opinion through me off and it shouldn’t, it’s my own weakness.
    Crazy, but started thinking the Tonemaster wasn’t a long time amp due to its design may be a weakness in a few years, and that valve amps are more authentic design and hold their price better. Maybe not!! But you know how your brain overthinks.
    The Princeton I had was a bit noisy (hissy), and my Carr Sportsman was an amp I should have kept.
    I have made some stupid decisions, and need to settle and keep one!
    ta Jon
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7437
    edited April 4
    I was going to say the same as @Lewy - I really like my Blonde TMDR - but I know how it goes if your brain has dismissed/moved on from something 
    Red ones are better. 
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
    I had a good talk to myself and realized that the Helix suits on so many ways. I may get a small combo to scratch the tube itch, but will stick with current setup. Play, play, play will be my mantra moving forward!
    thanks fellas - reflecting via this forum is needed from me every free months!!
    all the best tone seekers
    jon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3577
    JonHosker said:
    I had a good talk to myself and realized that the Helix suits on so many ways. I may get a small combo to scratch the tube itch, but will stick with current setup. Play, play, play will be my mantra moving forward!
    thanks fellas - reflecting via this forum is needed from me every free months!!
    all the best tone seekers
    jon
    Absolutely the right choice. Stick with what you have, get to know it really well and play. 

Over time, playing >>>> gear for tone production. 
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 846
    edited April 5
    Consider a real small cab and power amp for home use..... I MUCH prefer using eithe ra SD Powerstate OR a Fryette Powerstation (currently have both as Im transitioning tt the Power Station - for dual use with a real amp at home funnily enough) into a real can, and not using cab blocks with my Axe-FX.

Live, you can do that and feed FOH your full sound (dont know if you can split with the helix - or indeed if you can disable the cab aspect as Ive never used one excepting a shop) if you wish, or treat it like an old school rig, or just go direct and IEMs.

• ditchboyditchboy Frets: 300
    Princeton. Not as fat sounding as the DR but for me just hits a sweet spot especially on a strat. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4226
    edited April 6
    JonHosker said:

If you stick to this approach you really can't go wrong. Lari Basillio said something very interesting once which was along the lines of "tone is all about comfort" in other words it serves to make us more comfortable playing what we want to play. That resonated with me a lot, and by extension the more you play and practice, and take accountability for what's coming out, the less "comfortable" you need to be to do it, and so the less responsibility you put on tone/gear to help make it happen. I'm also reminded of an interview with one of the Wrecking Crew guitarists I saw once (maybe Tommy Tedesco) who said he turned up for a session one day and the producer told him that he wanted to try and do things DI'd straight to the desk. He just shrugged and said sure. It would never occur to him that he couldn't get himself in the zone to perform if he wasn't getting a tone he liked, and that's because he was an absolute master of the instrument.

Another quote this makes me  think of is from the writer Chuck Close - 'Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work'. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom