Which smaller head for high-gain? 30-50w

What's Hot

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4179
    @StefB - that's decent. I've been keeping an eye and there have been a *lot* of over-inflated eBay listings - I guess this is the world we live in now :lol:

It's a great amp, having had a few shots at cranking it through a 4x12 I can say the "omg it's not 6L6s and sounds like wasps" crowds might be overcooking it a touch. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4841
    edited April 3
    The Friedman 20 watters through a 2x12 are insanely loud, so I imagine it's nuts through a 4*12. Limehouse Lizzy gig with one although I appreciate they're not high gain.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 790
    StefB said:
    randella said:
    Jetfire said:
    Mesa 25 watts could be considered
    Good shout. As a one-small-box solution that can do you a reasonable facsimile of a crunchy Fender, a cranked 800, and a Rec chunk, my Mini Rec head is great. Good for the pub band guitarist with bits of spine missing.

They're crap value now though - expensive and rare. I spent a long time bemoaning Marshall for not making a lunchbox Jubilee, have a guess what they did a couple of months after I ponied up for a used Mini Rec.
    RichTone listed a used minter today for £799, which I didn’t think was too bad in today’s climate. 

Incredibly it doesn’t appear to suffer from their hugely frustrating collection only policy on used valve amps either, although they may just have forgot to state that on the ad. 

My mate picked up one of these year with the matching cab. Wow it has that amazing low end thump that I love. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33802
    Matchless Coldwater Canyon.

• rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    edited April 3
    Boromedic said:
    The Friedman 20 watters through a 2x12 are insanely loud, so I imagine it's nuts through a 4*12. Limehouse Lizzy gig with one although I appreciate they're not high gain.
    I saw LL last month (excellent they were!) and the solitary Friedman on stage was indeed a 20 watter! It helped that it was miked up through a massive PA though!
    Boromedic said:
    I saw LL last month (excellent they were!) and the solitary Friedman on stage was indeed a 20 watter! It helped that it was miked up through a massive PA though!
    Ayeeee :)

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3310
    edited April 4
    Another +1 for the PRS MT-15.

Tests have shown the head to be closer in volume to 30-35 Watts, so it's loud but light, solid and small and loaded with 6L6s.

Full on gain channel coupled with an excellent clean channel that also makes for a great pedal platform and you also have an FX loop.

Cheap, especially used or if you buy new, there's a 5 year warranty
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3310
    It just so happens I’m selling my 50w Brunetti Pleximan at a reduced price, basically because I think it suits a heavier sound.
    quite small and light for a 50w and has power reduction to 5w.
    @McToot ;
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Kebabkid said:
    It just so happens I’m selling my 50w Brunetti Pleximan at a reduced price, basically because I think it suits a heavier sound.
    quite small and light for a 50w and has power reduction to 5w.
    @McToot ;
    I know Cos, I know. I still haven't managed to sell my DLS40CR. If that goes this weekend I might put the PRS up for sale and get the Pleximan. Or better yet, get the Pleximan and put the MT15 up for sale, (if you catch my drift).  

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Problem is it's virtually impossible to audition any of these amps here in Berlin. There was a shop that had the Runt 20 and I thought it sounded fantastic, but they've recently shut. Keen to try the PRS for sure. Thanks for all the recos so far. 
    This sounds like it could be the one:

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24372
    That sounds very good.

I'd want cleans too though!
    That sounds very good.

I'd want cleans too though!
    Runt 20 then!

Loobs said:
    Problem is it's virtually impossible to audition any of these amps here in Berlin. There was a shop that had the Runt 20 and I thought it sounded fantastic, but they've recently shut. Keen to try the PRS for sure. Thanks for all the recos so far. 
    Roadtrip to Thomann?!!

Boromedic said:
    Loobs said:
    Roadtrip to Thomann?!!
    Not a terrible idea.

@fretmeister I have other amps for clean! 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    Loobs said:
    Neilybob said:
    I was going to say Ceriatone Son of the Yeti as I recall seeing one in the classifieds but can’t seem to find it now. 
    Is it supposed to be good? 
    https://youtu.be/Q1pNnNc7Rs8?si=YQP9Z9eeFzvvbRD6
  • FlotsamFlotsam Frets: 53
    I have a MT15 and I find it much better for high gain than the Friedman JJ Jr I had. It’s more dynamic and less compressed than the Friedman. It’s pretty hopeless for crunch or classic rock, though.
    I think I'm more in the boost + medium gain than out-and-out mega high gain camp, tbh.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4179
    edited April 5
    Neilybob said:
    StefB said:
    randella said:
    Jetfire said:
    Mesa 25 watts could be considered
    Good shout. As a one-small-box solution that can do you a reasonable facsimile of a crunchy Fender, a cranked 800, and a Rec chunk, my Mini Rec head is great. Good for the pub band guitarist with bits of spine missing.

They're crap value now though - expensive and rare. I spent a long time bemoaning Marshall for not making a lunchbox Jubilee, have a guess what they did a couple of months after I ponied up for a used Mini Rec.
    RichTone listed a used minter today for £799, which I didn’t think was too bad in today’s climate. 

Incredibly it doesn’t appear to suffer from their hugely frustrating collection only policy on used valve amps either, although they may just have forgot to state that on the ad. 

My mate picked up one of these year with the matching cab. Wow it has that amazing low end thump that I love. 
    It does - the drive channel on 'Modern' mode really cooks. A fair bit of that is down to the cab - I used it for a long time with an open-backed 1x12" and a Celestion of indeterminate vintage. During lockdown I got bored and ordered up a sheet of hardwood ply and a Neo Creamback. Made myself a closed-back cab to the exact dimensions of the Mesa 1x12" and it sounds bloody brilliant.

Dead chuffed with myself, lockdown rumbled on and on and the band never played again. The cab never left the damn house! (very small violins at the ready)
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    randella said:
    It does - the drive channel on 'Modern' mode really cooks. A fair bit of that is down to the cab - I used it for a long time with an open-backed 1x12" and a Celestion of indeterminate vintage. During lockdown I got bored and ordered up a sheet of hardwood ply and a Neo Creamback. Made myself a closed-back cab to the exact dimensions of the Mesa 1x12" and it sounds bloody brilliant.

Dead chuffed with myself, lockdown rumbled on and on and the band never played again. The cab never left the damn house! (very small violins at the ready)
    We should only need a 30-50w head to hear them though?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom