Comments

• tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    shame the velas lost the moons  :/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    I like this Dark Cherry Sunburst the best

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    I still love the look of the Vela, still think I might buy one if they had a tremolo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22893
    duotone said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I guess this thread's pretty much played out now, but I forgot to say yesterday - I like the new Space Blue colour for the Standard 22, Standard 24 and Vela.
    I’ll check out the new colours @Philly_Q ;;;

2 things that put me off the previous S2 line was: Poor colour options & the price difference compared to the SE line.
    duotone said:
    It's lovely, but I must admit I prefer the solid colours and the mahogany Standards.  There are many features of the S2 range which I like, and one of them is their plainness!  I have got an S2 McCarty 594 with a maple top and although it's pretty, I kind of wish I hadn't bought it - it's nowhere near as blingy as many Core and Private Stock models, but it's a bit full-on for me.

The bird inlays are similar - I don't hate them like some people do, they look good to me and I've got PRS guitars with birds, but I'd kind of prefer the S2s to just have dots...

I think overall this is the right move for S2, as they always push the tag line of "made in the USA", well, it is assembled in the USA but not really made in the USA.  Now this is at least a step closer to it for those who think it matters.
    Agreed, using the import pickups and electronics always seemed like a fairly small economy (although maybe I'm underestimating the manufacturing cost of PRS USA pickups).  Just so long as they get the pricing right....
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    Jeremiah said:
    I still love the look of the Vela, still think I might buy one if they had a tremolo.
    The nearest equivalent to a vibrato-equipped Vela is/was the S2 Studio. I suppose that the selector switch could be altered to leave the centre pickup out of circuit.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6830
    Jeremiah said:
    The nearest equivalent to a vibrato-equipped Vela is/was the S2 Studio. I suppose that the selector switch could be altered to leave the centre pickup out of circuit.
    You could look for a used Vernon Reid Vela

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    image.png 373.3K
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4139
    I think overall this is the right move for S2, as they always push the tag line of "made in the USA", well, it is assembled in the USA but not really made in the USA.  Now this is at least a step closer to it for those who think it matters.

The woodwork, assembly, finish and setup have always been done in the US on these; it’s just the pickups, electronics, and hardware that weren’t physically made there. To me that’s still been the majority of the work in the US and, credit to PRS, they’ve been transparent about it since day one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    You say this is the third neck pickup for the Vela?
    I had a 2016 model with the type D, did they rehash the  type D or did other models have something else before this new switch to the Narrowfield?  I didn’t much like the type D in isolation but it sounded nice with the bridge. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    grungebob said:
    You say this is the third neck pickup for the Vela?
    I had a 2016 model with the type D, did they rehash the  type D or did other models have something else before this new switch to the Narrowfield?  I didn’t much like the type D in isolation but it sounded nice with the bridge. 
    I thought it was only the second pickup change. The original bridge pickup was an S2 Starla, and they changed that to the “DS-01”, whatever that is, at some point. 
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    mrkb said:
    Jeremiah said:
    You could look for a used Vernon Reid Vela

I might like that with a different pickguard.
  • ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 334
    Andertons have the new prices - £2.6k for 594 Singlecut, £2.3k for the Vela. I loved my Vela and S2 Satin Singlecut but both cost me less than £1000 new. I know inflation’s a thing but those prices are way out there. If any of the new Velas pop up on the used market for less than £1.5k then I’d be interested.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Also didn’t know they changed the D type before! Anyone know if there was any material difference to the tone? I had the original d type. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    edited April 3

The woodwork, assembly, finish and setup have always been done in the US on these; it’s just the pickups, electronics, and hardware that weren’t physically made there. To me that’s still been the majority of the work in the US and, credit to PRS, they’ve been transparent about it since day one.
    To me that’s “PRS S2, most of it proudly made in the USA”

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22893
    edited April 3

The guitar is completely made in the USA.  Suhr use some Gotoh hardware, does that mean their guitars are only "mostly" made in the USA?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:

The guitar is completely made in the USA.  Suhr use some Gotoh hardware, does that mean their guitars are only mostly made in the USA?
    Funnily enough, Suhr aren’t allowed to put Made in the USA on their guitars anymore for the reason that a lot of their components are import (pots too, I believe). Which kind of just goes to show how silly the made in the US stuff can get because no one would doubt the overall quality of a Suhr guitar. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Andertons have the new prices - £2.6k for 594 Singlecut, £2.3k for the Vela. I loved my Vela and S2 Satin Singlecut but both cost me less than £1000 new. I know inflation’s a thing but those prices are way out there. If any of the new Velas pop up on the used market for less than £1.5k then I’d be interested.

You'll see these on sale around Black Friday, don't you worry!

PRS guitars are ALWAYS on sale! Apart from the super rare/high end models.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    duotone said:

Now I'd be tempted at that over a Gibson Les Paul if these drop to £1500 in sales.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426

Suhr aren’t allowed to say “Made in the USA” anymore. 

If PRS were in California they wouldn’t be able to say “made in the USA” either. That’s a state-specific law. Fender can’t say “made in the USA” on their USA-made instruments, for example, and they don’t. Only 5% of components or parts can be imported in order to put that label on them, or 10% if it’s impossible to source any American equivalents - none of the above meet that standard. 

/pendantry
    Philly_Q said:

The guitar is completely made in the USA.  Suhr use some Gotoh hardware, does that mean their guitars are only "mostly" made in the USA?
    Strictly speaking, yes, absolutely. I am differentiating between “made” and assembled.

I am going being a stickler on this point because the guitar industry in general always pushed “USA being better”.  As I fully aware that some made in China stuff would have things made elsewhere and then assembled in China.  If they didn’t do that then  I wouldn’t care, but the fact that they made a press release about “pick ups and electronics are now made in the USA” just reinforces my point.

When someone, by someone I mean guitar makers, say “made”, I expect all the parts comes from that country they are stating.  

My Bogner says “Assembled” in the USA. Which to me is accurate. 
    edited April 3
    Ps, I don’t care, I love my PRS SE One, as much as my core.  

But if they makes a press release about its country of origin then they open the door for criticism for that exact point.