Dann Huff interview - new 2 hrs and facinating!

What's Hot
newi123newi123 Frets: 861
edited April 2 in Guitar
For other Huff fans out there in case you haven`t seen this coming.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3251
    Huff fan...not a Vertex fan though ;)

(thought I'd get that in early...inevitable thread direction)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    Dan Huff is one of my favourite players. Seems a really down to earth chap too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22893
    I liked those two Giant albums.  He's a good singer, too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    edited April 2
    Huff fan...not a Vertex fan though

YouTube keeps recommending the Vertex channel to me. I watched one, I can’t even remember what it was but even I knew he’d got stuff wrong (this is very vague isn’t it) plus the man is an arsehole. Not sure why respectable musicians agree to go on his channel really. So, I’ll pass. I’m sure Dan must be on someone else’s channel at some point so maybe I’ll watch that, I appreciate that he has been a huge name in the session world. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

I don't really know who he is, but I recognise him as the bloke who has a video explaining how the Fender Eric Clapton mid-boost circuit works, and gets it all wrong.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Philly_Q said:

I don't really know who he is, but I recognise him as the bloke who has a video explaining how the Fender Eric Clapton mid-boost circuit works, and gets it all wrong.
    If you Google Mason and Vertex you go down some interesting avenues. 
    My apologies to the OP and Mason has never done anything to me but he has such a poor reputation I’m surprised that he does get these interviews or that anyone buys his products. Not understanding how the mid boost circuit works might fit with him saying he has a degree in electrical engineering but apparently actually doesn’t. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 83
    edited April 2

Yeah not a Vertex fan either, that chap seems to have got himself into some bother in the past.

However, it’s great to see Dann Huff popping up a bit more on a few YT channels and chatting.

Top 3 guitarist for me.

Hopefully Rick Beato will do an interview with him at some point. (Edit - or a Tone Talk)

Would love to see a Giant reunion (even if they got Bryan Coles in from the 2017 mini gig to sing).

(Further edit - watched the lot and the vertex guy didn’t get in the way too much. Really interesting and a great watch :-) )

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2382

YouTube keeps recommending the Vertex channel to me. I watched one, I can’t even remember what it was but even I knew he’d got stuff wrong (this is very vague isn’t it) plus the man is an arsehole. Not sure why respectable musicians agree to go on his channel really. So, I’ll pass. I’m sure Dan must be on someone else’s channel at some point so maybe I’ll watch that, I appreciate that he has been a huge name in the session world. 

Get over it, the other Vertex guy hardly talks.Great interview, love Dan Huff and he gives great insight. Uncle Larry did an interview with him too a while ago. Anyone else see Giant live in the 90's? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1338
    edited April 2
    This was interesting.  Huff showing how he played on some of the biggest radio hits live here.

Tracking the groove with the band for 8 hours to get Man, I Feel Like A Woman tight in the studio..good grief. I had no idea. I didn't know he did the rhythm part finger style. There's a reason Huff and Bukovac are the players they are.

And Lead Me On / Amy Grant is probably the best 80s pop tune you've never heard (the album version extends the solo for the better). You're Not Alone from her runs it a close second place - again Huff? that solo...!!!

I must have listened to the intro of Giant's I'm a Believer a hundred times - (the bit where the synth kicks in at 40 seconds!! oh yes) ... the absolute antithesis of everything Cobain stood for... 
    magnificent stuff...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAbO7IcIG_o

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    CaseOfAce said:
    The absolute antithesis of everything Cobain stood for... 
    magnificent stuff...

I find this statement interesting. What do you mean by that?
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4217
    Maybe he gets these interviews with respected musicians because people who’ve risen through the industry will have dealt with - and probably perpetrated - levels of arseholery that make any of his transgressions look positively benign, and who wouldn’t have many people to work with if they didn’t believe that people should be offered a path to redemption. 
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5858
    His talent is mind-blowing. Gives me the Huff :)

Seriously though, the Last of the Runaways album got played to death and I still listen to Giant albums now. He was a great session player too, he's all over loads of albums in the 80's for lots of genres.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited April 4
    Strat54 said:

Get over it, the other Vertex guy hardly talks.Great interview, love Dan Huff and he gives great insight. Uncle Larry did an interview with him too a while ago. Anyone else see Giant live in the 90's? 

He's probably my favourite guitarist and just inches above Lukather and Schon and I like him for the Giant albums and his session work (look up his discography to see all the hits he's played on e.g. Scritti Politti, Madonna, Chicago, Michael Jackson, Celine Dion, Rascal Flatts etc). And then you have his producer credits from Metal to Country acts and he's a big name in Nashville and Mutt Lange encouraged him to be a producer, all of which he touches on in this excellent interview.

I loved that he referenced all the players I love and not just the big names like Luke, Paul Jackson Jr, but others like Michael Thompson (the King of LA Clean sounds) and David Williams (that's him on the Billie Jean riff).

I saw Giant twice in the 90s. They were great but sadly, whilst Dann's voice on record was good, he couldn't hack it live. There's a weird live video from one of those gigs (? BBC In Concert at the Town & Country) and I remember DH being very low in the mix at that gig but on the vid, he appears to have over-dubbed his solos, possibly to raise the volume, and they're out of synch.

Whatever you think of Mason M, to date, I don't think anyone else has bought anything out as in depth as this about DH in the past and I'm on the Dann Huff FB page and this has been very welcome and revealed a lot. He's one of the greats, and humble, too, and it was great to see the wonderful Richard Watson (Youtuber, instructor, sessioner) getting a question in and if you like the 80s stuff and LA session material, he's someone to check out.

@Catthan
    @welshboyo
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3251
    …yeah…I watched it…was really good, damn it ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    Kebabkid said:

I saw Giant twice in the 90s. They were great but sadly, whilst Dann's voice on record was good, he couldn't hack it live. There's a weird live video from one of those gigs (? BBC In Concert at the Town & Country) and I remember DH being very low in the mix at that gig but on the vid, he appears to have over-dubbed his solos, possibly to raise the volume, and they're out of synch.

He mentioned about struggling to sing and play at the same time in the interview, and how high one of the songs was to sing.

Kebabkid said:
    I saw Giant twice in the 90s. They were great but sadly, whilst Dann's voice on record was good, he couldn't hack it live. 
    He could do a Don Dokken and just brazen it out....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom