Who has shot nitro over gloss poly just to change the colour. Did it work out?

What's Hot
rze99rze99 Frets: 2292

I have an idea to transform and existing nice resonant body I like with a new nitro colour and clear coat.
Has anyone shot nitro over poly just to change the colour. Did it work out? I get that you need to sand it before application.  This would be a DIY home garden job in the summer, hanging it from the washing line on a still day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    I’m sure Fender did this on a few models.  

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18821
    ^ LOL/Wiz coin toss,  LOL won  ;)
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2292
    TheMarlin said:

....hanging it from the washing line?

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6081
    TheMarlin said:

I think the Classic 50’s Lacquer model was nitro over the standard urethane finish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    JezWynd said:
    TheMarlin said:

I think the Classic 50’s Lacquer model was nitro over the standard urethane finish.
    Thanks. Wisdom awarded!
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7037
    edited April 3 tFB Trader
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9644
    I recently fixed a damaged part of the finish on my Classic Lacquer Strat and although I don’t doubt that there’s a layer of some kind of poly-something on there, it’s not a “standard urethane finish”. Fender have been doing something similar since the early 60s of course.

I think I’ve seen videos of bodies stripped with a heat gun with the main finish coming off easily but not the tougher sanding sealer. Nitro rattle cans over this might work well?
  • NCoNCo Frets: 163
    JezWynd said:
    TheMarlin said:

Isn't that nitro over poly sealer?
    That's cool and exactly what I need to do 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18821
    NCo said:
    JezWynd said:
    TheMarlin said:

Fullerplast polyester sealer was Fenders way from the 60's.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6081
    NCo said:
    JezWynd said:
    TheMarlin said:

When I was researching buying my first one, around 2014, I read review that said the lacquer was applied over the usual finish. Having had a few examples of standard and lacquer over the years, it seems to me that they may have taken the lightest weight standard models out of the line for a nitro coat and shipping in a hard case. However they're finished, they're one of the best bang for buck Teles out there imo.
    NCo said:
    JezWynd said:
    TheMarlin said:

Fullerplast polyester sealer was Fenders way from the 60's.

I am aware of that, I was just making the distinction between nitro over poly sealer and nitro over poly finish.
    JezWynd said:
    NCo said:
    JezWynd said:
    TheMarlin said:

When I was researching buying my first one, around 2014, I read review that said the lacquer was applied over the usual finish. Having had a few examples of standard and lacquer over the years, it seems to me that they may have taken the lightest weight standard models out of the line for a nitro coat and shipping in a hard case. However they're finished, they're one of the best bang for buck Teles out there imo.

I'm not a nitro snob, I was only asking because I thought that the OP wants to use nitro over a poly finished guitar. I'm not an expert, and people will surely correct me on this, but isn't the finish process (which is the OP's question) different in nitro over poly sealer vs nitro over poly finish?

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7037
    tFB Trader
    NCo said:

I'm not a nitro snob, I was only asking because I thought that the OP wants to use nitro over a poly finished guitar. I'm not an expert, and people will surely correct me on this, but isn't the finish process (which is the OP's question) different in nitro over poly sealer vs nitro over poly finish?
    The process would be identical. The finish on the "finished" guitar might be a bit thicker but not much. Most of the thickness is generally due to the base coat which is slathered on to hide any imperfections then sanded smooth and a thin colour coat added because the colour is more expensive than the sealer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    NCo said:

The process would be identical. The finish on the "finished" guitar might be a bit thicker but not much. Most of the thickness is generally due to the base coat which is slathered on to hide any imperfections then sanded smooth and a thin colour coat added because the colour is more expensive than the sealer.

Interseting, thanks!