Any headphone amp users here? What headphones do you recommend?

What's Hot
LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1098
I've got in-ears but too bass heavy so I'm looking for pair of cheap but neutral sounding headphones to use with headphone amps like the Nux Mighty Plug, Fender Mustang Micro etc.  Not looking at top of the line in terms of price.  What do you guys use? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 721
    Better to ad your budget and if you want open or closed back headphone tbh. 
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1098
    I'd prefer to spend less than £50 to be honest.  Closed back, open back, doesn't matter to me really.  I don't need it to be completely noise cancelling.  I just want something that's been proven to be as close to neutral EQ as possible.  
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    Sennheiser HD 206 I had a pair years ago and they were ok but not the bass response of my AKG K92s so should suit? The Senny's are also very light. NOT massively strong but you can afford a new pair every year or so?

I also have a Sennheiser headset with N/C mic and they are REALLY light and have even less bass but are of course optimized for clear speech. Terminated in two 3.5mm TRS jack plugs I use them with a "SABRENT" (aka "tecknet) USB dongle for Skyping.

Dave.
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 335
    edited April 3
    Sony MDR-7506, cheap and an industry standard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    edited April 3
    Another vote for the Sony MDR-7506. Very clear sounding and not overly bassy.
     I've found on the cheaper Sennheisers the vinyl falls apart after a couple of years, though they sound reasonably decent, they're not quite as good as the Sony ones
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 3
    strtdv said:
    They are used for tracking in professional recording studios and some people like Andrew Scheps even mix on them, so a bit of a bargain all things considered, and a full range of spare parts are also available.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 145
    +1 Sony's were a revelation after other boomy headphones 

Ian
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Vintage65 said:
    strtdv said:
    They are used for tracking in professional recording studios and some people like Andrew Scheps even mix on them, so a bit of a bargain all things considered, and a full range of spare parts are also available.
    They are quite bright! Used in tracking because it helps singers pitch accurately. I could never mix on them.

A less extreme choice would be a Shure SRH, from what I remember years ago, less bass but not as bright as those specific Sony. 

I prefer more neutral open backs as they keep your head cool too, I use Beyer 880 for my modeller.

• allenallen Frets: 710
    https://youtu.be/vuLbl-NNAKQ?si=BksbGynY9NQG-Xqe

In general, cheap or neutral. Choose one. 

However, check out the superlux ones for about £35. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    edited April 4
    Because everyone's ear cavities are unique there really is no such thing as truly neutral headphones. Surely all you need is something that tells you what you want to know?

Dave.
    edited April 6
    Vintage65 said:
    strtdv said:
    They are quite bright! Used in tracking because it helps singers pitch accurately. I could never mix on them.

A less extreme choice would be a Shure SRH, from what I remember years ago, less bass but not as bright as those specific Sony. 

I prefer more neutral open backs as they keep your head cool too, I use Beyer 880 for my modeller.
     It all comes down to price. I use HD600 with my Kemper, and they are also good for casual music listening (with Realphones). I have the MDR-7506 for times when I need sound isolation, and I've also been looking at some modern headphones with more detail for analytical work. Being considerate to others can get quite expensive