Momentary Kill switches

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24608
Any installed one? The round push button ones that mostly seem to be red coloured?

Do they just get connected on the hot side after the controls and the output jack?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4581
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• SporkySporky Frets: 28665
    They go at the output jack, and short the hot to earth. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 884
    edited April 3
    I just swapped out the broken killswitch on my son's Ibanez Iron Label with a Tesi

One wire from the killswitch connects to the hot signal wire, the other connects to ground.  When you press the button it makes a connection which sends hot straight to earth, cutting out all sound.

I guess it's done this way to mean that if the killswitch fails, hopefully the guitar continues to work, and the signal isn't passing through extra wire and a potentially dodgy switch contact.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24608
    Any reason they wouldn't work with EMGs?
    They work with EMGs - that's what's in my son's Iron Label.
    revsorg said:

I guess it's done this way to mean that if the killswitch fails, hopefully the guitar continues to work, and the signal isn't passing through extra wire and a potentially dodgy switch contact. 
    Also it's less noisy and less prone to pops or clicks. But also the reason you said too. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10454
    Mines wired push to make / hot to ground but some like the  sound by using push to break ... 

I also have a cable I made  with a tilt switch in it, so raising the guitar and shaking it does the same effect without installing anything in the guitar 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33837
    Any installed one? The round push button ones that mostly seem to be red coloured?

Do they just get connected on the hot side after the controls and the output jack?

You don't have to use the red caps.
    I don't.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 293
    revsorg said:
    I just swapped out the broken killswitch on my son's Ibanez Iron Label with a Tesi

One wire from the killswitch connects to the hot signal wire, the other connects to ground.  When you press the button it makes a connection which sends hot straight to earth, cutting out all sound.

Just what I’ve been looking for, thanks. Off the top of my head I don’t know what diameter my pot holes are on the LP or Tele - I want to swap the tone of the tele and one of the tones on the LP with buttons, are these a drop-in replacement or will I probably have to widen the holes to make it fit?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6914
    edited April 3
    I got some small black ones from James Home of tone. Easy to fit if you can solder.

Tesi Switch - Guitar Kill Switches – James' Home of Tone

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    IMG_8703.jpeg 152.1K
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24608
    Looking at my bass I think I’ll be needing a channel routed out under the scratchplate for optimal placement.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7162
    I have a black one on my partscaster

https://www.instagram.com/p/COP0WPyMLn_/
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • guitarajguitaraj Frets: 49
    The lovely chaps at Feline guitar fitted one to my Panther and it is built into the tone pot. I love it
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Any reason they wouldn't work with EMGs?
    Note that if you have solder-free EMGs with their simple plug together system this will limit the places you can solder in your killswitch.  The jack plug tabs being the most obvious place.  You can probably attach to the metal body of your volume knob as your ground, but with EMGs plug together volume knob I don't know this for certain.

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    guitaraj said:
    The lovely chaps at Feline guitar fitted one to my Panther and it is built into the tone pot. I love it
    Interesting....How did they do it?

Is it a push/push pot?
    I think there's a way to remove the latch from some push-push pots, so I think you're right. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    Forgive my ignorance but what would you use a kill switch for? I'm familiar with the 3 way toggle switch stuttering effect when the neck pickup is set at zero volume on say a Les Paul when it's feeding back, as used by Mick Jones from The Clash, Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols among others. Is the kill switch used in the same way?

@RandallFlagg Yes, that's what it's for.  My experience of using the Switchcraft switch on my Explorer is that there is a lot more mechanical noise that the pickups capture, and it is harder to operate with precision.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5552
    mrkb said:
    I got some small black ones from James Home of tone. Easy to fit if you can solder.

Tesi Switch - Guitar Kill Switches – James' Home of Tone

That's real neat. What size is switch is that?
  • guitarajguitaraj Frets: 49
    It’s just like a standard pot and I tap on it when I want the kill switch effect. I really like it. It’s just… fun! (Photo courtesy of Jonathan at Feline). Jonathan, could you shed some light on which type you used? … @FelineGuitars ;