Momentary Kill switches

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    guitaraj said:
    It’s just like a standard pot and I tap on it when I want the kill switch effect. I really like it. It’s just… fun! (Photo courtesy of Jonathan at Feline). Jonathan, could you shed some light on which type you used? … @FelineGuitars ;
    THINK IT WAS A SHADOW KILLPOT

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    guitaraj said:
    It’s just like a standard pot and I tap on it when I want the kill switch effect. I really like it. It’s just… fun! (Photo courtesy of Jonathan at Feline). Jonathan, could you shed some light on which type you used? … @FelineGuitars ;
    I'm back at Feline in the next few days. @FelineGuitars Jonathan, I'll prob be asking you to add one to one of my guitars!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    DavusPG said:
    guitaraj said:
    I'm back at Feline in the next few days. @FelineGuitars Jonathan, I'll prob be asking you to add one to one of my guitars!
    If we can still get hold of them . Not sure what is going on with Shadow thesedays

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader
    What's the best way to remove the pop when the switch is activated?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    If there's a pop it's probably a DC offset somewhere. If the guitar is passive, the DC offset will be in whatever is next in the chain, and should be fixed there.

If you wire the switch to short hot to ground it shouldn't pop anyway, I think? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6833
    DiscoStu said:
    mrkb said:
    I got some small black ones from James Home of tone. Easy to fit if you can solder.

Tesi Switch - Guitar Kill Switches – James' Home of Tone

That's real neat. What size is switch is that?
    it’s the 8mm tesi one

https://www.homeoftone.co.uk/products/tesi-switch-ido-super-m-8mm-momentary-kill-switch-button
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5509
    mrkb said:
    DiscoStu said:
    mrkb said:
    I got some small black ones from James Home of tone. Easy to fit if you can solder.

Tesi Switch - Guitar Kill Switches – James' Home of Tone

That's real neat. What size is switch is that?
    it’s the 8mm tesi one

https://www.homeoftone.co.uk/products/tesi-switch-ido-super-m-8mm-momentary-kill-switch-button
    I suspected it was the 8mm. And it comes in stainless steel! This has got me thinking ...
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    edited April 6
    Forgive my ignorance but what would you use a kill switch for? I'm familiar with the 3 way toggle switch stuttering effect when the neck pickup is set at zero volume on say a Les Paul when it's feeding back, as used by Mick Jones from The Clash, Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols among others. Is the kill switch used in the same way?
    Just for fun really. I know Buckethead uses one quite a bit:

But for me this ticks all the boxes (jump to 5 mins 5 seconds):

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1087
    edited April 6
    John 5 uses it a bit as well. He doesn't use them for just fun either. He's written main riffs using his kill switch.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22894
    This thread has given me a sudden (and undoubtedly temporary) obsession with kill switches.  I spent a couple of hours last night watching YouTube videos of people installing them... very hamfistedly in most cases - can no-one do guitar DIY neatly and carefully any more?

Also spent ages on the Tesi website.  The big 24mm arcade switches are the coolest, but the smaller metal ones are really neat and won't leave big fuck-off holes in your guitar if you change your mind.

This is a terrible installation video but sort-of entertaining if you're childishly amused by swearing and you like cats.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    edited April 6

I got one installed in my Harley Benton.. Excuse the playing, was just a quick thing filmed on the phone.. 
    This ones an Iron Age killswitch. Came from America but arrived really quick. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    I like the idea of a sprung/momentary toggle switch for this too. Slightly different feel to it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited April 6
    @skunkwerx the video link's broken, I guess because you edited the post.

Edit:  I see you've already fixed it :)
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Philly_Q said:
    Sorted I hope! Nothing worth watching tbh ahaha
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    skunkwerx said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Sorted I hope! Nothing worth watching tbh ahaha
    Yeah it is, these things are cool.