Gary Nava restores an old Top Twenty electric bass

What's Hot
SupportactSupportact Frets: 957
Nice series of videos where Gary Nava restores an old Top Twenty/Teisco bass. He's a very accomplished luthier known mostly for his acoustic guitars and mandolins, but it's interesting to see him work on the Top Twenty I think.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14270
    tFB Trader
    One for you @prowla ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    :-) Cheers!

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10465
    tFB Trader
    I rewound one of those bass pickups a few months ago :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72372
    edited April 4
    I like working on those. They’re often described as firewood, but I think of them more as kit guitars that have been assembled badly. Strip them down and re-assemble them more carefully and thoroughly, and you can make decent enough instruments out of them. They’re never going to be as perfect as a high quality modern guitar, but that’s part of the charm - and they can certainly be made to play well and sound good and characterful.

(It’s true that some have very poor fretting and are more trouble than they’re really worth, but most aren’t that bad.) 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11751
    Against all expectations I really enjoyed this.  Gary comes over as a really likeable guy who clearly enjoys what he does.  Very interesting stuff.

Having said all of that, my overriding impression - sadly - was "why on earth did he bother polishing that turd?"  I grew up in the era of Top Twenty 'Woolies Specials' and they were reviled by my generation.  No-one in their right mind would be seen dead with one and Gary's noodlings at the end of the final instalment did nothing to dispel that.

Still enjoyed it though!
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 957
    Offset said:
    Against all expectations I really enjoyed this.  Gary comes over as a really likeable guy who clearly enjoys what he does.  Very interesting stuff.

Having said all of that, my overriding impression - sadly - was "why on earth did he bother polishing that turd?"  I grew up in the era of Top Twenty 'Woolies Specials' and they were reviled by my generation.  No-one in their right mind would be seen dead with one and Gary's noodlings at the end of the final instalment did nothing to dispel that.

Still enjoyed it though!
    Yes I kind of understand what you mean, it occurred to me that when you look at the stuff he normally makes, this is maybe not the most financially efficient use of his time and skills! On the other hand I quite like the idea that he still obviously gets a kick out of restoring what is a budget instrument. Something quite satisfying about the whole process. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    My first guitar was a Top Twenty Strat…still got it somewhere 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    I've got an Audition plywood special and it sounds really good.
    The original pickup stopped working so it's got a Strat one in there.