Gretsch, Epiphone or Ibanez Semi Hollow

What's Hot
StrumitStrumit Frets: 46
I've been looking at hollow/semi-hollow offerings and reviews seem to be a minefield regarding quality control etc.  Any comments appreciated.  I do not play professionally, just at home for personal use.  Should I just get a Harley Benson BigTone?  The wrong vibrato and subsequent "bendy" bridge puts me off a bit???  I have done some tinkering on a Stratalike so am OK with that.  Talk to me folks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• floeighty2floeighty2 Frets: 160
    I’ve consistently found Gretsches I’ve owned to be very good build wise.  I will add that these have been Japanese built ones, but Gretsch do have their own sort of foibles which to me are part of their charm. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10678
    edited April 5 tFB Trader
    I've had two Ibanez Artcore semi acoustics one the full depth and one the shallower bodied ... and two Gretsch Electromatics - The Ibanez instruments were super well made, and had nice necks - but the electrics were a bit cheap and cheerful and the pickups needed upgrading. As a modding platform they are great, but the pickups are okay for rock - less so for anything more traditionally played on a semi. 
    My first (Korean)  Aspen Green Gretsch Electromatic had a neck I just didn't like - my new (Chinese) Electromatic has a gorgeous neck and the Black Top Filtertrons fitted as standard will suit most folks to the ground. Great setup and QC top notch. 

With the bridge/trem system on the Harley Benton I personally wouldn't touch one ... as - if the designers can't be bothered to use the right sort of Bigsby clone ... what else can't they be bothered about? 

I've heard good reports about the Gretsch Streamliner range ... similar pickups to the old Gretsch 'Dumbuckers' so great as long as you want a PAF sort of tone. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3999
    The “Inspired by Gibson” Epiphone 335 looks great and very reasonable used prices can be had. Same with the Riviera. I’ve had a Burgundy and Royal Tan Riviera and they were really good guitars.

I’ve not as much experience with Gretsch, briefly had a Streamliner and it was a nice guitar. The Guild Starfire I looks decent too.
    tFB Trader
    It also depends on what you want to play ... if you are more of a jazzer then The Harley Benton Manhattan is quite amazing for the money  

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3073
    @Strumit ;
    Ive got an Ibanez Artcore I got in a trade on here, it is factory aged which is not everyones cup o tea, but the fit and finish is very good, it sounds good too..

I took it on a whim and its not really 'me' if you want it, it would be cheap as.....

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• mankytommankytom Frets: 235
    I only really have experience of the Gretsch streamliner and mij ones. The mij are beautiful but the at the more expensive end of the scale. The streamliner I had was really nice but just wouldn’t stay in tune, at all. It was a 2420 I think. Ended up moving it on quite quickly 

My current Electromatic ... by far the best I've tried ... the newer Chinese ones actually feel better than the earlier Korean ones.
    Probably can't see from the image ... but beautifully bound f holes, superb finish, great electrics - and a nice licenced Bigsby Around the £700 quid mark new.

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mankytommankytom Frets: 235

My current Electromatic ... by far the best I've tried ... the newer Chinese ones actually feel better than the earlier Korean ones.
    Probably can't see from the image ... but beautifully bound f holes, superb finish, great electrics - and a nice licenced Bigsby 

If I could wow that twice I would.. I love it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StrumitStrumit Frets: 46
    paulnb57 said:
    @Strumit ;
    Ive got an Ibanez Artcore I got in a trade on here, it is factory aged which is not everyones cup o tea, but the fit and finish is very good, it sounds good too..

I took it on a whim and its not really 'me' if you want it, it would be cheap as.....

The "aged" look is also not my thing and I do prefer a vibrato/trem.  Thanks for responding all.  Much appreciated.
  • floeighty2floeighty2 Frets: 160
    @mankytom ive wowed it on your behalf as I agree totally 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5796

The Ibanez instruments were super well made, and had nice necks - but the electrics were a bit cheap and cheerful and the pickups needed upgrading.

To be fair to the Ibbys, this bit might not be true if you’re not a pickup connoisseur and winder extraordinaire. ;)

I quite liked them in the ones I’ve had or played but then I’m not a big PAF fan and liked the bite I was getting. I’d still probably end up picking a Gretsch though, just for cool factor. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7995
    The Gretsch Rat Rod (G5410) is a superb guitar. 
    Hunt one of this down if you can, excellent pickups, hardware, wiring pots, and plays like a
    pro line guitar. 
    I absolutely adore my one.  I’ve also got a G5420, nice guitar, but the Rat Rod is better. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14573
    Strumit said:
    I've been looking at hollow/semi-hollow offerings
    How much/little do you want to spend and how hollow do you want to get?

I like the first generation (flat fronted) PRS SE Custom Semi-hollow. Budget for better pickups. 

I also like the S2 Vela Semi-hollow - the version with the D-Type single coil in the neck/Rhythm position.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    The way I would look at it is this:
    What do you want a semi hollow or hollow body for?

If you want it as a general purpose instrument - then a 335 type is great, but not really a full on semi acoustic tone ... same with all the smaller body/centre block jobbies. They don't really have much of an acoustic tone, so if you want a guitar you can noodle on unplugged in a satisfying way ... then a fully hollow body might be better. 
    As I said earlier ... if jazz is more of your thing, then you don't really need a Bigsby, something like a Epiphone Emperor or a non Bigsby Peavey Rockingham (stunning guitars) might fit the bill. 
    Epi Emperor on e bay at the moment sub £500  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Strumit said:
    I've been looking at hollow/semi-hollow offerings
    How much/little do you want to spend and how hollow do you want to get?

I like the first generation (flat fronted) PRS SE Custom Semi-hollow. Budget for better pickups. 

I also like the S2 Vela Semi-hollow - the version with the D-Type single coil in the neck/Rhythm position.

A lot depends on the sale of my Burns Special.  I'll be able to state a budget once I clear the deck! :)
  • MikePMikeP Frets: 59
    Guild starfire? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3055
    edited April 5
    I know this isn't in your list, and I don't know if it's within your budget.  I've recently been given a lot of time to play Eastman's version of the block inlay 335 with a bigsby - I think the model is the T486B in red it's the one with humbuckers and not P90s, and I've been extremely impressed by it.  Is it comparable to a Gibson 335, in my opinion, not really, it's close, especially looks wise, but it truly is it's own guitar, and for around a grand brand new, it is in my opinion, a very very good buy and value for money.  Much much better quality than anything by Gretsch, Epiphone or Ibanez in the same price bracket.  And I say this as somebody who is currently in the process of selling 2 Epiphone ES 335 pro - one in sunburst the other in ebony.
    My choices are widening!  Thanks for the suggestions and knowledge folks.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1889
    The Vintage brand semi hollow VSA500 looks good value and has some good reviews. Around 360 pounds new.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2366
    Strumit said:
    I've been looking at hollow/semi-hollow offerings and reviews seem to be a minefield regarding quality control etc.  Any comments appreciated.  I do not play professionally, just at home for personal use.  Should I just get a Harley Benson BigTone?  The wrong vibrato and subsequent "bendy" bridge puts me off a bit???  I have done some tinkering on a Stratalike so am OK with that.  Talk to me folks!
    I'm being a bit dim here, but what do you mean by 'the wrong vibrato and subsequent "bendy" bridge'?